Possible to make a jazz kit?

I just tried with a project (that uses a few samples), and I can’t see how the samples could have been imported with the project, as the resulting file is only 9KB. But maybe it’s because it’s only factory samples ?
EDIT : yeah, it seems that it was because of Factory samples. Damn, so the bottom line is really is :
“use Transfer, drop a project to your computer” and that’s all ?

1 Like

I just tested. It worked perfectly fine with Elektron Transfer when I chose to transfer a Project from my AR. That included the kit and even a sample which was in the pool (but not assigned to a track or a part of a saved kit). The .arprg file which Transfer output included the sample. Please note, it was my original resampling, not a factory sample.

After loading a sample to the RAM; I needed to save the project before it would be included in the Elektron Transfer backup. I didn’t need to assign the sample to a track, I simply loaded a sample to the project’s RAM and saved the project. After that, Transfer was able to recognize the new sample I added.

Here’s what I would do if there was a kit in a project which I wanted to share with someone, yet I didn’t want to include all the other kits, patterns, sounds etc.

1.) Open the project containing the kit. Make sure it’s saved, but save it again into a new project slot to have a duplicate.
2.) With the duplicate project open, remove all patterns and clear the kits except for the kit/s to share.
3.) Unload all the samples from RAM which aren’t a part of the kit/s.
4.) Remove sounds from the project pool as well (if applicable).
5.) Save the project.
6.) Use transfer to backup the project.
7.) Share the .arprj file.

Orrr, I think I could potentially copy the kit to a new project, but then I’d have to add the samples back manually (if I’m not mistaken). Edit: Yeah, that didn’t work, the samples weren’t included. I would have to find them all on the +Drive and manually add them back assigning to the appropriate tracks. It could be useful if copying kits across projects would load the associated samples into RAM. RYTM doesn’t function that way, from what I understand, which is why the above steps (a process of elimination) are a decent workaround for sharing a kit.

I am now going to test backing up Sounds which include samples, using Elektron Transfer. wml, I’ll be back!

6 Likes

This kit can’t drop soon enough!

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I hope they weren’t waiting for me to test transferring sounds with samples. :grimacing:

2 Likes

Haircut, this does not include velocity sound setting correct? In my kit, velocity settings controlling filter cutoff etc is something that makes the kit sound more “real” when finger drumming.

Thanks for the update too!

2 Likes

Sure, since it was a project that I backed up with a kit saved inside, I believe that velocity setting for the kit was in fact saved as part of the project. That would make sense to me anyway, though I didn’t actually test that in particular. I also have yet to test transferring individual sounds (which would surely not include that kit setting).

2 Likes

It sounds like things are coming along and close once that is sorted out? Very exciting news for Rytm users

Gunna give this thread another kick…

Was anyone able to make a kit with jazz drum sounds and expressive control?

4 Likes

No I haven’t made one yet. But I still want to.

I thought you were the one who had the jazz kit and you were learning how to share it with us? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Edit: I see now that it was @garfield, uh - oops!

2 Likes

Sorry I never got back to anyone on this, especially you @furlatron my deepest apologies bro! I don’t really use the Rytm a whole lot anymore, and I’m thinking of selling it. I will most definitely try to get the kit shared to you guys before I sell Rytm off. I’m just lost on how to do it any don’t have the patience to keep trying lol

4 Likes

Garfield, no worries brotha, and thank you.

Outta curiosity, what’re you selling it for? You found something you like better?

I still haven’t found anything thats as expressive and powerful sounding as the rytm. Although I have been looking at the new SP 404 with those touch sensitive pads.

Hi there, new Rytm mkii user here. I’m also hoping to create some velocity-sensitive acoustic kits with some samples I have (the MPC-Tutor ones, which I recommend), and wonder if there’s a good tutorial out there for accomplishing this? The two methods would seem to be the one referenced above, or using velocity to trigger various parts of a sample chain, and both are a little unintuitive and poorly documented.

(I realize this isn’t the AR’s forte, btw, and I do have some MPC pads and Superior Drummer 3, but I thought it would be nice to have this for me and my kid to mess around with without getting the computer out.)

1 Like