Possible to get pulsar-23 kick from syntakt or any elektron?

I’ve been mostly playing with pulsar-23 and i’m more into hypnotic sounds (Stream Study 15 20231128 - 05 - 5-00004 by kirilligum | Listen online for free on SoundCloud)

I got back into syntakt. it has so many parameter but no matter wat i tried (all analog mavhine, LFO, filter) can’t get it to sound as southing and dirty as pulsar. syntakt analog voices just sound digital, especially the first part of the bd (called tick?). the closes i got was to use BD FM with short LP filter LFO and STIM LFO at 32-128bpm.

if both are analog, why is the sound so different? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsOUtm7LUOc
I don’t even use any patches.

I was hoping to replace pulsar, ST,DT with AR or A4 but now i’m thinking of getting rid of syntact and just sticking with pulsar.

syntakt has so many parameters and ways to do creative sounds but I just can’t get it to sound nice

has anyone being satisfied with elektron’s analog BD in comparision with pulsar-23 or other semi-modular/modular synths in terms of the detail of the sound?

Different components, different tunings, different signal paths, differences…. They are all different. Analog is not a signature sound.

Yes you should be able to get close, but I love how Pulsar is so easy to go from hard hits to soft thumps. No machine switching. I have both ST and Pulsar 23 and I like that they’re different workflows…. But, with some time, you should be able get specific P23 sounds very close in ST.

@Jeanne just released an ST pack with sounds inspired from other noisemakers, including Pulsar 23, I think??? Sorry If I misunderstood that, but if so…. What was your experience like in matching? I haven’t wanted to try (otherwise I’d be struggling to justify why I have both here).

4 Likes

Yeah here’s a Pulsaresque Jam on the Rytm - without samples of course:

And here’s a Pulsaresque Jam on the Syntakt (the kick has a click layered on top and the snare wasn’t supposed to sound like Pulsar):

(those sounds are indeed in my “Syntakt Curses” soundpack)

On the Syntakt/Rytm, first you want to use the Asymmetric Sine waveform and then it’ll sound already much closer. And then you want to design your own pitch envelope with the LFO and use the machine’s pitch envelope only a bit or not at all.

Edit: And you want to turn off all that “tick” stuff :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

thanks @elxsound
@Jeanne, those tracks are impressive. yes, those two things help a bit.

1 Like

Take two analog drum machines (not clones) and try to replicate sounds from one on the other. It may work in a few cases, but in general, they all sound different.

I would see Syntakt and Pulsar as complementing each other, one more modern precise analog, the other more raw vintage analog sounding.