Possible technique for better pseudo-timestretch (experimental)

So I was messing about with a remix I am working on for a friend that I decided to do on the Digitakt (probably not the most efficient tool for the job, but I find it more fun than a DAW these days) and he has some crazy spoken word samples that are pretty freaky and I was messing around with looping them and scrubbing through the start point with an LFO when I hit that usual wall of it sounding too glitchy/grainy/clicky, so I remembered I had better luck just manually retriggering the note over and over (cuz then the envelope gets triggered and you can smooth it out with a bit of attack, or filter envelope or whatever) and then lightbulb I thought of just setting up a really fast and long retrig in this case 1/64 for length of 16 and a 1 bar pattern length and this worked really well. Played with the LFO BPM multiplier and retrig division and got different speeds and flavors. Definitely something to explore, but again this was experimental and not about timestretching something from one bpm to match another one, just more about getting that crazy stretched out vibe without all the annoying clicks.

I have been listening to tons of old speed garage, jungle, and breakbeat hardcore lately so all the ssssssseeeeeeelllllllleeeeeeeccccccccttttttttaaaaaaahhhhhh is infesting my brain.

Anyway hope that’s helpful or maybe some of you can turn my blind flailing into science.

8 Likes

Nice idea. Something like granular timestretch. Definitely helpful. Gonna explore this.

Definitely an awesome find! Will be playing with it today :slight_smile:
Thanks for sharing dude.

Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

nice! i’ve been playing around with the lfo>sample start stuff here too, managed to get decently syn’d beats tonight so have been doing silly early rave type stuff for my own amusement :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I still get excited whenever I see your profile image :smiley:

2 Likes

daaaamn that sounds awesome!

1 Like

I definitely need to get on this!

1 Like

Hell yeah homie! Dope

1 Like