Possibilities of analog Rytm combined with Octatrack?

Hi, am new to the forum. I play guitar, am influenced by wide variety of music and mostly play hiphop/rock oriented music.

I have a analog rytm mk2 which I enjoy a lot! I bought it after trying out the digitakt. Now I ordered a octatrack to use as a looper for my guitar and mangle samples with (i feel this is limited on the rytm).

My question is, what are the possibilities with the rytm and octatrack combined?

Thanks!

everyting is possible.

7 Likes

Haha true

Maybe run the AR through the OT is a good starting point, and after that maybe also routing OT (probably Cue) to AR in order to use the analog comp?

I’m actually sequencing the DVCO tracks from my AR in my OT for more control (and the fantastic arp).

1 Like

OT can send 24 MIDI LFOs into Rytm.

OT can MIDI sequence Rytm scene changes and performance macros.

OT can send its MIDI arpeggiator to Rytm’s DVCO synth machines.

OT can be 4 mono or 2 stereo (or 2 mono + 1 stereo) FX processors for Rytm individual voice outputs.

And it can even do all of these things at the same time.

The list goes on and on…

14 Likes

Stop it my bank account hurts

1 Like

:exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head:

X4 things I need to try tomorrow :rofl:
OT really is quiet amazing.

2 Likes

These two are the center of my studio. I use a KVgear stand for them and it looks lovely. I’ve yet to use the OT to sequence the Rytm aside from sync, though I do have it process the Rytm sometimes. Though remember that any panning you do in the Rytm can be altered by OT effects, some of them sum to mono if I remember right.

1 Like

Great ideas!

On the Rytm manual I could only find the midi reference for performance macros, not for scenes. Did I miss it somewhere?

same page in the manual appendix. CC #92. It is a single CC.
12 levels of velocity are tied to each scene as an option, or you can just send that one controller as a CC#.

An existing discussion is here: Controlling scenes with midi?

2 Likes

Great Idea, thanks!

1 Like

Those are some great tips, thanks! Never thought the rytm scenes and performances changes could be triggered like that.

Is it possible to lock paramters of the rytm to scenes/fader from the octatrack?

Ill check out the stand and the panning idea, thanks! Would be nice to keep things tidy on my desk :sweat_smile:

1 Like

No midi scenes on OT.

Playing drum samples/slices with Rytms pads is something I’ll try when I get my Rytm.

1 Like

Do you know of any videos demoing these techniques (specifically OT midi lfo/arp CC) into Rytm? Been looking this morning and it’s tough to find something focused when these same terms cover a wide variety of possibilities.

I’m planning out a set with these two and hoping I can use the OT to spice up some Rytm parameters/macros but have it be a bit more free running rather than tightly coordinating some patterns between the two.

Nope. You gotta reference the manual and explore the capabilities yourself.

2 Likes

Not sure if still relevant to expand on the possibilities, but I sometimes route one of the DVCO voices via its own individual out into another input of the OT. Gives it its own FX, filtering and modulation of those in its own OT Thru track. Makes you approach that DVCO track a bit more as its own mono synth. (If you do this, check out the audio routing in the Rytm manual, to deselect that DVCO voice from going to Rytm Main out, otherwise you’ll hear it double)

2 Likes