Controlling scenes with midi?

Hey AR buddies,

I was hoping someone could shed some light into what I need to do to control scenes using the pads of a old Trigger Finger I have laying around.

Using a knob I can get the active scene to scroll through all 12 but I can’t figure out how to get them to be engaged. Ideally I would like to hit a pad on the TF and have it activate the scene that parallels that pad on the AR.

Thank you very much, we appreciate your time.

FYI, I figured it out. In case anyone finds this thread and is confused.

CC92 is the midi and within that the pad on/off is tied to the first 12 velocity transmissions.

4 Likes

Nice, thanks! I had been assigning a fader on my FaderMaster Pro to CC92 and just scrolling through them. The velocity trick will help for other controllers.

Wait, are you saing that triggering a midi note externally with a velocity of 1-12 (from any midi channel?) will activate scenes 1-12?!

If so this is brilliant!

Yes indeed. I ended up assigning it to the trigger finger sliders instead so I would have a visual cue as to what was active since there are no LEDs. Basically I have 4 sliders with 3 velocities assigned to each so I can slide from bottom to middle to top to trigger scenes. It is easy to hit your position and you can switch scenes super fast.

Then the pads I use for performance triggers. This leaves the RYTM fairly open for mutes and I have 8 dials in the TF I could assign to something… But I am going to get cozy with what I have set up now. It really opens up the performance side of the machine.

I have another program on the TF that is set up for finger drumming. The pads are wayyyyy more responsive than the AR.

Next up I want to perfect a 3rd program on the TF for assigning each pad to trigger a slice in a sample chain is velocity mod, effectively I can turn one single track into a multi-sample spread. I got the sample start working decent by assigning the velocity mod but for now am just using amp decay to make the sample chain just play one hit. I think I need to assign the sample end to be velocity based as well because I am getting little clicks and such.

I got this idea from someone on this board. Does anyone have advice on setting this up?

Also, big up Adam Jay for pointing out the benefits of sample chains.

I will not answer to your question but give my way to control scene. I use the Arturia Beatstep, and I configured the pads to send CC92 with fix data.

12 pads toggle between 0 - x, where X correspond to CC92 value of the scene.

More over, I use the encoder to control perf, which is way easier to configure.

++ for the beatstep. This works great with the rytm.

I have set the scene on gate instead of toggle and than select X - X.

This way you only have to hit the pad once for activating the pad.

Excellent stuff, can you do similar with perf mode pressure on trigger finger pads?

1 Like

Could anyone help me out achieving this with Ableton?
I have some scenes set up and would like to use automation in arrangement to trigger different scenes on my Rytm.

I can configure Mutes and Performance but not Scenes.

Use a max lfo

You didn’t understand. I can’t configure Scene button to be available in this window, like Mutes and Performances are.

Tnx anyway

No idea fella.

Anyone has an idea how to map Scenes in Ableton?

I don’t use Ableton, but I control scenes from the OT using cc 92…
Values 1-12 select scene 1-12, 0 disables all scenes, any value over 12 doesn’t do anything…
Maybe that info will help, I don’t know…

4 Likes

I’m not understanding how to employ this velocity method…
Since it’s a cc, how is the velocity related? Or what note are you sending?
Thanks…

1 Like

I can’t wait to use it too with a 120 sample chain, unfortunately I don’t have one on board.
I guess it suffice to assign START to Velocity Mod. I hope it also works with END, with a +1 offset compared to START…that way loops would be possible.
Any more infos on that?

Only one scene can be employed at a time. Therefore with CC92 value 1 is scene 1, value 2 is scene 2 and so on.

Good fun.

Hi I’m trying to do a similar thing but i want my DSI Tempest to trigger chain changes / song rows as i change beats on my tempest.

I use a foot pedal to ‘increment beat’ on the tempest and in turn i would like that to trigger the Rytm MKII to ‘increment song row’

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance

Hi Man, I probably need your help, I just bought the Beat Step Pro and I would like to map some more controls on the BSP from The ARMK2, i stil to don’t understand how to map like the scene mode and maybe some more things from The ARMK2
I would like to map the Pad 5 for example to one scene and then on the Pad 6 another ones
I hope to fix it,

Many thanks Man

All the Best

Hi Man, I just activated the scene mode as you re explain, how I disactive them?
When I push the BSP they go lighted on but how to switch them off?
I use the ARMK2 and I have already mapped mute and Performances, now I need to complete with scene mode and maybe something more…

Many Thanks for your comments
They helped me a lot

Cheers!!!