Portable Speaker Recommendation

I cannot give you any feedback about using one in a live situation, but I’m happy with my OB-4.

1 Like

Just had 2 x minirig 3s and a sub delivered today and am massively impressed by the sound of stereo and sun setup. Haven’t had a chance to crank up above halfway as massive sound! Very well built speakers with supposed big battery life.

Would say the Bluetooth connectivity is annoying at times but when it works the stereo linking is pretty cool. Personally planned to have them cabled for music production but nice to have the option for phone connection when not being used as portable monitors. Not cheap but was fed up of half OK speakers and love the stand-alone sub as an option when I need it

1 Like

Does any Elektronauts test this one ?

1 Like

Hi!
I have a JBL charge 3 that works great except for the auto standby. Gets really annoying when connected to a groovebox, and it happens all the time if you don’t constantly blast audio…

Anyone have a recommendation for a speaker that doesnt go into auto standby when there is no signal?

If you can find a Sony XB-43, they are pretty good. They may have been discontinued but can probably still be found.

Do you use the above mentioned only for playback or for creating beats, too?
My portable speaker has huge latency when connected via 3,5mm TRS to my Syntakt.
Thanks for your recommendations!

1 Like

Did you find anything in the end? looking for the same thing portable and connect with a 3,5mm

2 Likes

Very expensive if using only as portable but these seem fairly unique from aiaiai

Unit 4, 800 euro

I’ve been using the iLoud for years, only problem is the batteries aren’t user replaceable. The 1st now holds no charge at all so we just use it powered in the bedroom. I’m now on my second one and the battery only lasts a couple of hours. I contacted IKMultimedia support this week to ask about battery replacement and they came back and said it wasn’t possible.

I bought a HK Audio Move 8 this summer for busking with one of my acostic groups (playing cajon), and I am also using it as battery-powered bluetooth speaker at home. It has 2 xlr combo ins and an instrument input (and a fourth input via bluetooth), and a very simple mixer. The sound is very round, with good volume and excellent battery management (two batteries, externally rechargeable, with the possibilty to hot-swap). Only mono, though…

IK Multimedia support is terrible. All their stuff comes with cheap components that are made to not last long. They know this and still offer nothing passed the warranty level. (I’ll bet that if there was now law on warranty they would offer nada support).

I’m still using the iloud micro’s and they were already not working correctly when I got them but couldn’t return them at the time as I really needed them. Tried so many other products from them which were either DOA or stopped working after a few times use. Bitching at them on the forum got my account banned but when you check out every other forum you know how bad this company can get. For longevity I would not advise their products and if you’re on a low budget I would advise to safe a bit more and get something better with far better design en costumer support.

A speaker on vacation might sound like a great idea but it can take up a lot of room and weight in the suitcase so take that in account.

I’m currently on vacation and the one thing I hate is hearing other people’s music. So you gotta make sure you’re not bothering others when you blast through your speaker.

If it’s just you and you want freedom, low latency etc I think those AIAIAI Wireless headphones are a great option. They’re not cheap but you’ll probably use them after the vacation as well which might make it better purchase.

Edit: and now I see this thread is already 4 years old. :sweat_smile:

To be fair the iLouds are well built. I’ve had mine for years. It’s just annoying you can’t replace the battery. Isn’t there some new EU law coming that forces manufacturers to make mobile devices have a user replaceable battery? They’re in the EU so this should apply to the iLoud in future.

I actually just bought a pair of the micro monitors, arrived yesterday. They sound sweet on first test.

How can you say they’re build well when you already got 2 of them with crappy batteries?

Yes that EU law is coming. A company doesn’t have to be located in Europe though but if they wanna sell to the European market they must apply the rules. Which is great and why we see things like USB-C on all Apple devices. Apple made an insane amount of profit going with proprietary cables and now they can’t. Of course they will cover that in they the price we pay but it’s a definitely a tiny step in the right direction. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve had a MINIRIG 3 for a few years and I think it’s great, but I don’t use it for anything serious - mostly just listening to music around the house. The iOS app is bloody terrible, though.

1 Like

The batteries weren’t crap they just stopped holding a charge after many years of use, just like all rechargeable batteries. I don’t have an issue with the build quality of the iLouds including the batteries. I just wish they were user replaceable.

What is many years?

My iPhone is 3 years old and still has 85% left and I charge that thing more than once a day. I got large powerbanks that are older which are still doing great and my MBP at 10 years old still worked for like 4/5 hours depending what I did on it.

10 years

I’ve had a week of significant use of the Unit 4s and I couldn’t be happier. They are exactly what I expected and sound as good as I hoped they would. I’ve used them for listening to vinyl, making music, listening to streaming, doing some videos for YT. Highly recommend them.

IMG_0931|375x499

1 Like

https://www.amazon.co.uk/soundcore-Bluetooth-Portable-Wireless-Waterproof/dp/B0BWXM3RRK/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=38O526GZVYB1Q&keywords=soundcore+motion+x600&qid=1700301531&sprefix=x600%2Caps%2C142&sr=8-1-spons&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.75166066-20e3-4754-b877-e8b97a40eca8&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

I have ordered this model Soundcore Anker motion x600. I like this Chinese manufacturer and was impressed with their smaller Soundcore 3 speaker. This one has great reviews and also AUX in for the Elektrons :slight_smile:
Looking forward to trying it out. Good deal now 230->165e