Polyrhythm, master/slave, pattern change, etc

*Update at end of post

Hello. Using Rytm as master, Keys as slave. I have been synthesizing and sequencing for about 15 years, but I am new to Elektron, and very green in general in regards to step sequencing. I hope my issue is stated clearly enough to make sense:

I am having trouble creating predictable results with pattern changes, particularly in song mode, when using the “Advanced” scale mode to create polyrhythm.

On both machines, some tracks are running at 48/48, some at 64/64, for a 3/2. In the “Master” section of the scale menu, if I set the “length” to INF and “change” set to 64, on both machines, I get the desired polyrhythmic effect. (Meaning, when the 64 step patterns get to the first page for the second time, the 48-step patterns are on the second page.)

However, if I program a chain of Patterns in Song mode, the patterns do not advance past the first one, I suppose since the “length” is set to INF. Also, when manually changing patterns, sometimes the Keys does an extra full sequence before switching patterns. It is unpredictable whether it will follow correctly or not.

Now, if I go back into the scale menu and set the master “length” to 64, and “change” to 64, everything works as it should in song mode, and manual pattern changes seem to sync fine. However, the polyrhythm is now reset every 64 steps: the 48-step tracks go, in terms of pages “1, 2, 3, 1, 1, 2, 3, 1”, which is essentially the same as “1, 2, 3, 4”

Any advice? Do I just have to forget about song mode if I am using tracks of differing lengths? Thanks in advance.

*UPDATE:
I found a solution, which may have been obvious right away for many of you. The least common multiple of 48 and 64 is 192, so I set the master “length” to 256, and “change” to OFF. Now, if I input a pattern change on the Rytm even after one beat, the 64-beat tracks will go through 3 repeats before changing to the following pattern.

However, I want the 64-beat tracks to do four repetitions before changing, so I now have to set the master “length” to 256. “Change” is still off. This works fine, but the polyrhythm is “reset” upon pattern change. Not a huge deal for the particular piece on which I am working, but may cause problems on other pieces.

If anyone has any additional tips to chaining polyrhythmic patterns together, particularly when one Elektron device is synced to another, please chime in. I am cursed - I work primarily in odd time signatures and polyrhythm, but suck at math!

Afaik this was a bug in recent firmware. I dont know about the behaviour in songmode, but the CHange Parameter in Advanced Settings did not work properes on AR and/or A4. Perhaps you might Try if the units change patterns correctly on their own, without being slaved together. Perhaps checking out the new Firmware might help. Good luck! Been struggling with this situation too for some time before letting go and doing things other ways…

1 Like

I’m just discovering this also 3 years later. The AR and A4 don’t seem to react to the program changes in time as they do just changing by hand,
if it’s been like this for this long maybe they cannot fix it?
Or it’s simply not possible to do all the polyrhythms tricks and also receive program change in time?