Polyphony 8 polychain 2 a4 ak

Hi

After watching some videos on the dsi prophet 6 and ob6 (which sound amazing) and umming and ahhing over a prophet 12 I thought, ‘can’t I get the A4 and AK I have to polychain and get 8 voice polyphony?’.

Got it done this evening.

Statement:
Polychain 2 A(4|K) units is possible regardless of Overbridge and with an external midi keyboard capable of transmitting >1 midi channel over specific areas of the keyboard. Polychain means playing both units at the same time to have a polyphony of up to 8 notes simultaneously.

materials:
[ul]
[li]2 A(4|K) units (in this case unit 1 is an A4 and unit 2 an AK)[/li]
[li]keyboard of AK or any keyboard capable of setting midi channel zones (nord stage 2 used)[/li]
[li]Midi merger (optional, but otherwise you have to edit sounds on both units separately) (midisolutions midi merger)[/li]
[/ul]

Method using external midi keyboard:

Physical connections
[ol]
[li]Connect midi keyboard to midi in on unit1.[/li]
[li]Connect midi out unit 1 to midi in 1 on midi merger.[/li]
[li]Connect midi thru unit 1 to midi in 2 on midi merger.[/li]
[li]Connect merger midi out to midi in on unit2.[/li]
[/ol]

Setting channels and midi config
[ol]
[li]Set zone 1 to channel 8 on midi keyboard (could be any channel it doesn’t matter).[/li]
[li]Set zone 2 to channel 1 on midi keyboard.[/li]
[li]Decide which track you will use on Unit1 (decision was track 4)[/li]
[li]Set Unit1 Track4 to midi channel 1 (GLOBAL>MIDI CONFIG>MIDI CHANNELS>TRACK 4 = 1)[/li]
[li]Set Unit1 GLOBAL>MIDI CONFIG>MIDI PORT CONFIG>[/li]
[/ol]
INPUT FROM = MIDI OR MIDI+USB
RECEIVE NOTES = TICK

[ol]
6. Set Unit1 to midi auto channel 8 (GLOBAL>MIDI CONFIG>MIDI CHANNELS>AUTO CHANNEL = 8)[/ol]
7. Set Unit1 MIDI PORT CONFIG THUS:
GLOBAL>MIDI CONFIG>MIDI PORT CONFIG>
THRU PORT FUNC = MIDI
AND
OUT PORT FUNC = MIDI
AND
OUTPUT TO = (‘MIDI’ OR ‘MIDI + USB’)
AND
OUTPUT CH = TRK CH
AND
PARAM OUTPUT = NRPN
AND
ENCODER DEST = INT + EXT

8. Set Unit2:
GLOBAL>MIDI CONFIG>CLOCK RECIEVE = TICK
GLOBAL>MIDI CONFIG>TRANSPORT RECIEVE = TICK
This is if you want Unit2 to receive stop start and tempo/bpm type info.
GLOBAL>MIDI CONFIG>MIDI PORT CONFIG>
INPUT FROM = MIDI OR MIDI+USB
RECEIVE NOTES = TICK
RECEIVE CC/NRPN = TICK TOCK
Set Unit2 to midi auto channel 1 (GLOBAL>MIDI CONFIG>MIDI CHANNELS>AUTO CHANNEL = 1)

PLAY

It sounds really good, just wish there was a dedicated sustain pedal as I absolutely love the sound of the A(4|K).

3 Likes

Well, just realised I just need multi map edit; what a dolt.

Don’t understand why the Merger is necessary?

For a software solution, something like polymer to distribute the notes properly would be far better. Max for Live and Reaktor probably have devices like this too.

Hi
thanks for the suggestion.
I need the merger to merge the note data from my master keyboard (Nord unit) with the NRPN data coming from the A4 to the AK.
8 voice A* units together are a fine thing indeed.
Now if only I could have a sustain function (the F performance INF release workaround is OK-ish but hardly ideal)

here’s how it sounds

5 Likes

Hi what do you mean by “I just need multi map edit” ?
I am thinking about getting a second A4. I guess you can have one of the A4 to control the other one ?
Just need to have the same patch in both though.
So is it usable ? What are your thought ?

Tanks.

With Multi Map you can map AK keyboard (or incoming notes for A4) to external midi gear, setting channel, notes, range.
Like several splits.
I thought about a 2nd A4 too. Hesitating now because of other priorities.
I succeeded to make it 4x2 paraphonic with midi processors. Not practical.
I think 2 A4 are totally usable, especially with a midi processor, or a good keyboard controller.

Yup i got 2 working together. One unit is the master and the other the servant. I had a midi keyboard where i could split midi channels at a certain note, so unit 1 on the low register and unit 2 above middle c.

Then somehow, can’t remember how what i did on unit 1 via midi would alter unit 2. But i had to save my sounds twice.

It sounded really good but then i got a prophet 08 and i sold the ak. Just wish elektron would make a fully polyphonic synth with a sustain pedal

1 Like

I’m sure the retrokits midi lead could probably do this. ( make 2 analog4’s work as an 8 note poly)

1 Like

Yep. Retrokit Polymux preset or a Midipal / Midibud splits each note to a different channel, so it let you play 8 notes anywhere on the keyboard.

For a simple split, Multi Map is enough. Maybe I’d go this way, because I’d plug A4-1 midi out to A4-2 midi in, and use A4-1 knobs to change parameters.

1 Like

I have been look at the Moog One, but the price of admission is insane. And I have heard a lot of sounds from the Moog live streams, but nothing I’ve heard it do made me think ‘that’s on a another level compared to the A4’, rather ‘the A4 could do that with less polyphony’.

So, that’s why I reckon I’m looking for another A4 and keep them polychained. For the time I did have that set up it never bugged me, I’d just have to remember to save twice.

1 Like

Quality content indeed. Makes me want to try it

Thanks, you should try it.

So you can get a 8 note chord on the keyboard?

Which this was an official easy polychain feature.