Polyphonic sequencing with the RYTM: Tips & Tricks

The sequencing capabilities of the AR/AR2 sometimes seem underrated to me. While it does lack some functionality e.g. the Digitone offers (MIDI PC, CC and Pitch Bend; 4 dedicated MIDI tracks with 8-voice polyphony), it still can do a lot; and you can even squeeze quite some polyphony out of a single track when sequencing MIDI, or paraphony on some of the internal machines. Made a vid this weekend; features Digitone and Novation Peak, covers from Prince to Underworld to Timbaland and 6 ideas for getting the most polyphony out of your AR. Hope you enjoy it :partying_face:

18 Likes

Choose life.
Choose a job.
Choose a career.
Choose a family,

Choose a big fucking television.
Choose Rytm.

This was a nuts video man. Amazing tips and recreations of some great tunes.

Dug the lil vulfpeck intro theme too. If that’s from something else originally, let me know ha.

Wow, the outro jam was amazing too. Love what you’re churning out man.

4 Likes

Thanks! About the Vulfpeck theme, I searched online and couldn’t find a solid answer whether Jack Stratton composed it (which I assume). There seems to be a similar jingle in some video game, but only similar, not actually the same notes

1 Like

That Prince intro :heart_eyes:
Any hints related to that one?

1 Like

Prince famously used the Linn LM-1 on many of his tracks; on “1999”, there are additional live drums, though. There are quite some free LM-1 sample libraries floating around the web, not sure where I got my LM-1 samples; but most should do.

The 1999 kick sounds very LM-1, so I used a LM-1 sample there. Same for the clap, added a bit of analog CP classic to that one. Snare, hats and cymbals sound like acoustic drums, so I used acoustic drum samples (well, technically the LM-1 uses acoustic drum samples, too, but they sound very machine-ish), mostly from the Producers’ Choice Organic Drum Kit. Two different snare sounds panned about half way left/right. The “knocking” rhythm part at the end of every other bar is two LM-1 tom samples with a bit of low pass filtering, and a LM-1 rim shot sample tuned way down (TUN -17) running through a bandpass (FRQ=64, RES=0, ENV=0).

All those drums (except hihat) have reverb with different send levels, like 44 on the toms, 100 on the kick and 127 on the claps. Reverb decay is parameter locked on the FX track to get gated reverb sounds; like, on step 4, right before the snare hit, DEC is locked to 112, then on step 6, which is micro-time nudged far left, DEC is 21.

The wind noise in the intro is the AR’s “UT Noise” machine on track 10; HPF=32, everything else at default; then into filter w/ FRQ=75, RES=29, LP2, ENV=0, with the LFO modulating the filter frequency, WAV=RND, SPH=88, Free Mod, DEP=+14, SPD=+12, MUL=x2.

Bass is the SY RAW machine on track 2. WAV1=SAW, WAV2=SSAW with DET=-12, BAL=+26, DEC2=INF, NLEV=0, LEV=127. Into Filter with FRQ=28, RES=1, LP2, ENV=+27, ADSR=0, 36, 0, 64. Into Amp with everything at 0/center, except VOL=100, HLD=Auto, DEC=31.

4 Likes

And the stabs are done on the Peak using Tip #1?
The whole thing sounds so tight :slight_smile:

Yep, Peak does the chords, sequenced by AR track 12 and FX track; so, using Tips 1, 2 & 3. You can only get 3 simultaneous notes out of a single AR track (by micro-time nudging the left and right of 3 neighbouring trigs to the timing of the center trig). Here, we have the synth starting with 2 low notes in octaves, then adding 5-voice chords on top, so two tracks were needed. I read that Prince used an Oberheim Four Voice on 1999, recording it to two tracks to get enough polyphony, similar approach here :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thank you for the extra info!
A had alread posted ur video on the rytm tips n tricks thread, sorry…haha

1 Like