Polyend Tracker

Unless I am misunderstanding, you can, actually. The thing is, if the pattern is running when you enter sample record mode, it will need to be stopped. However, once you are actually in sample record mode, it can be started again and you can monitor and record any MIDI instrument being sequenced by the Tracker.

EDIT: Oh, I think I see what you mean -that sample playback is disabled once in sample record mode, but MIDI playback is not. This seems to be so, yes. It hasn’t been much of an issue for me, but I can see how it could become a problem.

2 Likes

Definitely check it out in-person if you have a chance before buying. I was really excited about it after hearing about and reading the manual (such a powerful synth, modular-like modulation!), but in practice, after I sat down in front of one in the store, I was disenchanted in five minutes. It’s simply UI hell. The simplest tasks, like changing the pattern length, involve convoluted, non-intuitive menu diving.

And that’s after I read through the manual somewhat! It’s more of a preset machine, it seems. Programming it to do what you want is an uphill UI battle. The Wavestate’s UI makes you glad there are synth manufacturers who actually care about the UI/UX and user workflow. The greatest sounds don’t matter if interacting with a synth feels like a chore. I can’t even compare the workflow’s tediousness to Excel, since that wouldn’t be fair to Excel.

4 Likes

See my reply just above. It works at least with external MIDI instruments, but you have to be in sample record mode before engaging playback of the pattern. But no, you can’t unfortunately hear anything but MIDI instruments from what I can see.

I’ve begun saving GAS-killing posts that I can refer back to later when I am tempted. This one will do fine.

Same experience I had while owning a wavestate. Even just reaching the data knob or moving between the value knob and the page buttons, is not ergonomic or well thought out.

Glad to be of use. I did a similar thing on the Microcosm. Also, actually practising using the instruments you do have, sitting down and working at them, is a very efficient GAS-killer.

Also, it’s funny how inconsistent the UI between Korg synths is: I have a Minilogue, which I love, and I tried a Korg Opsix in-store after the Wavestate, and the three have little to nothing in common in workflow and UI. It’s terrible, you have to re-learn everything for each one.

On topic: Just got the Tracker. Can’t seem to figure out how to add notes/FX in bulk. I select a bunch of rows, select an FX like “Pan” and nothing happens. Scrolling or pushing pads does not add values to the rows as expected. WTF? Running 1.4 stable. User error or bug?

For bulk adds of FX/Notes/Instruments use the Fill pads. Bulk editing will work as you expected but not from a empty set of rows/cells but not for the type of FX, only the values of the FX would be changed by using the know or the pads.

I discovered that recently but the Fill function allows more fine control on the row to fill also.

Back on this horse for a bit:

6 Likes

My little collection of experiments as i learn to love this little instrument more and more each day:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYTt8s7J_3t6y9U-uIiDkoJv_YSxuFn7l

5 Likes

This post on their help site is the most definitive thing I’ve found:

Q: Is it possible to resample the Tracker’s audio output?

A: No, this is not possible. Tracker can’t play its patterns and record audio at the same time due to its hardware limitations. It’s not a matter of a firmware update. […] One can use the “render selection” function in order to bounce steps or selections of steps from one or more tracks at the same time to a single audio file.

The simple rule is that the Tracker can’t both record and generate audio. It can record audio but not generate it (as it does with an offline render or when “bouncing steps” as per above or when straight-up sampling in Sample Record mode). Or it can generate audio while not recording (as it does when playing back samples in Pattern or Song mode). But it cannot do both.

This sometimes gets confusing because the Tracker is also pretty capable when it comes to MIDI. But remember, MIDI is not audio, so it doesn’t break the rules. So you can record audio from external synths “generated” by MIDI in the Tracker’s sequencer because the Tracker itself is not generating audio — it’s just sending MIDI. Or you can “record” MIDI while the tracker is playing back a pattern because audio isn’t actually being recorded — just MIDI.

But at the end of the day, the Tracker still cannot generate and record audio at the same time. And it seems like a very intentional, irreversible, hardware-bound choice on the part of Polyend.

5 Likes

The only changes I’ve seen across versions are either internal (different USB implementations different power/key switches), material (plastic vs. metal), or cosmetic (square vs. rounded buttons). I haven’t seen anything that actually changes the form factor.

Anecdotally, I bought a hard case for my mk1 well into the mk2 era and it fits like a glove.

1 Like

I’ve noticed that it seems to clear the sample memory while recording, and then reloads samples when you return to pattern mode. I have assumed this is due to freeing up all the sample memory for the actual sampling process. Otherwise, sample recording would be limited to how much memory there is left in the current project. If so, this is actually a good thing, since the memory required when sampling is very rarely predictable, especially since there is likely to be silence at the start, end, and unneeded material to be cropped.

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah I am aware of the midi capabilities and resampling. Fun thing this is with the Euclidean fills and hardware. I’ve never truly been sample based as a producer, except for drums, however this limitation will just force me to think creatively outside my comfort zone and I am ok with that.

1 Like

And there we have my answer. Unsure how I missed that as I was digging around the website recently too. Thanks for the reply!

As I mentioned above - the limitation just makes it so one has to be more creative in the sense of commit and move on. I’m ok with that.

Maybe MK4/5 lol?!

2 Likes

:open_mouth:

13 Likes

I hoped so. Thanks!

I guess they needed to save their aluminum for the Tracker Pro.

1 Like

not sure if it’s a tracker pro, considering the much smaller screen, looks like a dedicated synth thingy

1 Like

Yeah, super curious what this could be. My immediate hope is that it’s a knobby multitimbral synth with Deluge-style sequencing.

1 Like

Damn I’m excited