Polyend Tracker

This made me smile. Love it! Lol

1 Like

I took a lot of care into making sure those were not clicking when exporting. I did very small fade in and out when needed. Iā€™ve done everything into Izotope RX for max precision.

3 Likes

this I agree with. I had both a Tracker and a Digitone at one point and the Trackerā€™s focus often felt like a strength! I will say punching in a sequence and p-locking each step felt much more like micro-managing than programming the Tracker doesā€¦ lots of recent discussion even makes me want to pick one up again. hahaā€¦ unless? :stuck_out_tongue:

excellent track btw.

Thatā€™s Arcologies. Dude has DnB nailed. So good. One box, huge tracks.

He gives away projects for some of his PT tracksā€¦samples and all. :+1:t6:

1 Like

No, that would really clutter up the UI and the implementation would probably be really impracticableā€¦

I agree with @mangofresa more envelopes and LFOs free to have any source and any destinationā€¦ that would really make it killerā€¦

And also lock midi input to one track, so that when recording in midi notes, the notes doesnā€™t spill over to other tracks, itā€™s super annoying imo.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve decided not to sell my Trackerā€¦ it is really special, but Iā€™m not gelling with itā€¦ I need to really work a lot more with itā€¦ maybe I have a hard time digging the tracker as a concept. Cause Iā€™m feeling the same about my Nerdseqā€¦ I fully understand the inputs needed to make music, but I donā€™t like the outcome of what Iā€™m producingā€¦ the melodies suck and it has no real arrangement, where as on the Op-Z I feel like I can make a whole song with just one patternā€¦

Do you have any tips for making melodies and arranging on the tracker?

1 Like

Maybe try recording melodic phrases, solo or chords live, with quantize turned off ?
And maybe the opz is more pattern based, with trigs, probability and so on for variations around one pattern while the tracker is more like a linear sequencer, which ask you to build the arrangement using the song mod, adding variations by yourself on each pattern ?

Yes, Iā€™d say thatā€™s a great overview of the two devices!

So my problem is really getting used to working linearly. I guess not being so lazy with programming :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:. If I would critique myself I would say that I lean to much on trig conditions and what not in my compositions which (especially with the OP-Z) tends to become lazy composing, relaying on the machines to come up with motifsā€¦

In other words I need to be better!

Thanks for creating the spark for this internal conversation :laughing:

2 Likes

Just do it on the tracker too ā€¦ I may sound silly, but itā€™s exactly what works ā€¦ create a, lets say somehow complex and richt pattern, and then copy the pattern, delete, replace, or amend content, and arrange this by using pattern/track selections. IMO the keys and hot-key-functions support quick and dirty deletion, replacement, copy, paste, edit every ntā€™hs note or event etc., we have the fill-function ā€¦ and UNDO es well :wink:

I do this not much differently compared to other gear. Yes, itā€™s a bit more abstract, compared to put notes down on a piano roll, but IMO itā€™s more WYSIWYG as on each of my Elektron boxes. We can record from a keyboard, but we can also take a chord, which we have in mind, and just distribute and arrange its notes. Iā€™m not meaning to use the arp function, but we have this as well.

1 Like

No problem ā€¦ up to now we have probability ā€¦ and I assume that trig-conditions will follow some day. It should not be a too big deal. We should let them know about it.

1 Like

Yeah Iā€™ve been doing that somewhat. Start by doing the ā€œsongā€ at its peak and then copy and scale off or switch out partsā€¦

Like I stated before I just think I need to work the device more

1 Like

shift + rec to arm a specific track, this way notes will not spill over to other tracks ! but i assume you are using live record right? this function still doesnā€™t work well at all imo, it bugs out most of the time for me, so itā€™s no wonder you might not be getting the results you expect from it

also, did you install the new beta? my first week with the tracker was kinda rough as i found most stuff sounded quite robotic and found myself putting micromove FX everywhere. with the swing FX this thing is grooving and simple sequences sound way more exciting thanks to it.

4 Likes

something pretty cool i did last night (i used the 8 tracks but you can tailor it to how many you want to use)

1. make your selection, in this case i selected all the tracks
  2. go to fill>euclidean>desired value>desired scale>random (preferably starting from a low note and finishing in a high note so itā€™s spread out accross the tracks) / you can now press fill
  3. youā€™ll now have the same rhytmic sequence across all tracks but all the notes are different
  4. use the home/insert key and start moving around your tracks and pressing it, you will create offsets in the sequences and you should start discovering new melodies and rhythmic patterns. :slight_smile:
11 Likes

Great tip, thank you!

1 Like

@mangofresa Your posts excellent. I wish we had more posts like yours on this forum in general. :beers:

3 Likes

This is my biggest gripe as well :frowning:

I think itā€™s somehow linked with this ā€œNote Offā€ thing. I asked on Github already of they could include an option to turn this off in the global settings.

Maybe they did in the new beta? I havenā€™t had the chance to try, my setup still being boxed as I moved flats.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve seen a video recently where this was addressed and demonstrated, and one feature was that the notes coming in could be restrained to one column. But having just had a look, I canā€™t find anything matching. Maybe I dreamed it, or have it mixed up with something elseā€¦ or maybe someone itā€™ll trigger someone elseā€™s memory. Iā€™ll keep looking, because in my head I can still see the notes appearing on the screenā€¦

1 Like

mentioned this in my past comment, shift+rec lets you arm tracks, this lets you select which tracks are allowed to be recorded into, but live recording function is not working well at all. like @Omar mentioned, note off messages seem to mess it up big time, sometimes you are not able to input notes at all, sometimes it only registers what it wants to and the pads become very unresponsive, almost like you have to press them harder for an input to be recognized.

5 Likes

Been checking out the Digitakt after someone was asking on here DT vs Polyend.
Surprisingly comparable, even though kinda different beasts. Although interesting the history of Elektron makers in the tracker demoscene, and the influence of that in their products seq workflow.

Anyway just on here to vent haha! DT looks amazing in many ways, if you like the p-lock programming workflow. Looks a lot deeper than I first concluded. Polyendā€™s Tracker sequencing more visual and can see whatā€™s going on more. And tracking!

But so surprised at Digitakts lack of song modeā€¦ but not only that, the pattern chaining doesnā€™t get stored anywhere :-sā€¦ just disappears when the unit goes off. Crazy!

Ah, I see. Always check two posts back is the lesson. Note off is a classic tracker stumbling block for me, especially as I tend to use them for one shot or instant release sounds. So when I end up entering a note off, it can sometimes take me a while to realise what Iā€™ve doneā€¦

1 Like