Polyend Tracker

Why not? One has big pads, the other small ones

4 Likes

:heart:

Another great update, chuffed as this one was my suggestion and they just emailed me saying it was implemented :slight_smile:

Re: [polyend/TrackerIssues] Save collections of instruments as ‘kits’ to load in to projects (#641)

New Features

• Introducing .pti, a new instrument format within saved projects which allows importing those instruments to other projects you’re working on. Save your project to convert it to the 1.5 format which uses .pti instrument files. Then, when working on another project, go to Sample Loader, navigate to /Projects/YOUR_PROJECT/instruments/. Load the instrument and it will include both the sample, as well as all instrument parameters like envelope settings, sample playback type, wavetable position, and so on.
  • Try out the new .pti file format with this instrument pack: http://polyend.com/files/Instruments.zip. For easiest access, place the unpacked Instruments folder in the root directory of your SD card.

Bug fixes

• Fixed freeze after changing granular LFO settings (#903, #1154),
  • Bringing up the Instruments popup on the Tracker screen occasionally resulted in a flickering screen (#1178),
  • Slice fill effect counted “From” and “To” ranges incorrectly (#1290),
  • Tracker mixer’s visual performance is now better (#1110),
  • Using Shift+Up to select contents of current track selected all tracks instead when sequencer was running (#1134),
  • Removing OFF events revealed a left-over MIDI instrument on the track (#1147),
  • Beat slices weren’t fully displaying (#1205)
12 Likes

Yesssss! Just tried it out and works well, had a lot of fun gathering instruments from some random draft projects and so nice to not have to do loads of slicing!

5 Likes

I was super hyped but then I had like a complete freeze and four restarts in more or less half an hour. LFO not triggering at each note and other wavetable related glitches.
I think I’m going back to 1.4 for now.

Just gonna pop this here…

All Tracker, performed live with just a bit of Acidbox on top.

I really like performing with it, it’s fucking great.

10 Likes

Has anyone tried playing the Polyend Tracker from a MIDI keyboard as a polysynth? Can this be done?

2 Likes

Yup. Assuming you allow for how it handles polyphony (assigning notes to adjacent tracks)

2 Likes

And don’t forget to watch/adjust your levels.

2 Likes

Thank you both @papertiger @Scot_Solida

1 Like

Was there some change to the build along the way? I briefly had it when it released, sold, but kinda want it again. I thought I had heard they lowered the quality or something?

They moved from stamped metal to injection molded plastic for the case. They also improved the jog encoder and USB C/power implementation. Finally, they rounded the corners of the buttons, raised them, and made them a little less clacky.

Whether this makes it lower or higher quality now is a matter of some debate, but they’re not breaking on anyone or anything. Mostly these seem to be small aesthetic changes out in the margins that don’t alter how the device feels or operates much.

2 Likes

Just checking in on my favorite thread. Latest report: I haven’t tried the new beta 1.5 yet but I’m planning on doing that tonight. I’m starting to use Tracker’s midi functions finally. PT and Moog Grandmother is too much fun! Sending midi clock to GM’s arp and sometimes to the sequencer, recording that and turning it into a malleable sample to twist around. Sending midi notes and CC to Grandmother for a bass line. It’s really simple stuff but these two really are going to be a productive pair for me. Next I’m gonna try the same thing with Sub25. PT and GM color scheme looks nice together. It’s making me want a Matriarch. But alas, it’s No Gear New Year. I hope to share something from this setup soon. Still experimenting with the setup and getting comfortable. Still love my Tracker.

5 Likes

an hip-hop perspective

5 Likes

Last night I hooked the Tracker up as a midi controller in Live 11. Each software instrument receiving a different channel from Tracker’s tracks. Was nice to be able to play the Drum Rack on those little pads. Not bad if you’re in a bind and need a midi controller to just input some drums or melodic stuff. I didn’t hook up the audio from Tracker because it was late and didn’t want to be banging around upstairs trying to find the cables I needed. But I bet it’s fun sending midi tracks to Live and some audio tracks from Tracker. Kind of a different hybrid setup. Just putting that out there in case anyone is interested.

6 Likes

It is. Also fun to run Live into the Tracker in that scenario. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The Tracker pulled me back and I have one again. This one has the most stable jog wheel I have used, so that’s a plus. I have not used a recent firmware until now, but wondering if anyone notices the lighted pads will blink off and on one time after certain system actions.

I’m not even entirely sure what triggers it, but it seems to be when changing modes. It never happened before, so I am wondering if this is a software quirk in 1.4 (which seems most likely) or hardware?

1 Like

1.5 firmware is now out

1 Like

Changes from 1.4.0 to 1.5.0
New Features

– Tracker can now save separate instruments with all their settings. This allows importing those instruments to other projects you’re working on.
– You can now select slices in sample playback Beat Slice mode by pressing the corresponding pads
– The “Step” function button label in Pattern Editor is now labeled “Step jump”,

Bug Fixes

– Incorrect Fill range in certain settings is now fixed,
– Sample recorder wasn’t recording if MIDI chord was playing,
– Un-deletable instrument after loading project from the previous version is now fixed,
– 1.5.0b1 regression: samples could be normalized to 0 after adding a new sample to the song,
– Fixed freeze after changing granular LFO settings,
– Bringing up the Instruments popup on the Tracker screen occasionally resulted in a flickering screen,
– Slice fill effect counted “From” and “To” ranges incorrectly,
– Tracker mixer’s visual performance is now better,
– Removing OFF events revealed a left-over MIDI instrument on the track,
– Beat slices weren’t fully displaying,
– “Render Selection” was sometimes inconsistent,
– Horizontal view mode edits weren’t always refreshing correctly on-screen,
– Sample preview in Sample Recorder was sometimes distorted,
– Volume of fast rolls was increasing on the last step of a pattern,
– TSTP FX is not anymore interfering with song export,
– Tempo FX values below 40 were treated as T40,
– Current playing pattern wasn’t always in sync with highlighted song slot on the Song screen,
– Sidechain limiter stopped working after playing sound in Sample Editor/Sample Recorder,
– Active Reverb was cut when Sample Recorder was entered, even if “No” was selected,
– Subtle Limiter attack and release sounded too short after device restart,
– Changing radio region to Japanese didn’t apply until device restart,
– Part of the “Additional Info” bar was clearing when moving between Pattern Editor and other screens,
– Using Shift+Up to select contents of the current track selected all tracks instead when sequencer was running,

8 Likes

Haven’t used it for weeks and was thinking about selling it. The instruments feature is really cool though. Especially if some people that aren’t as lazy as I am will offer some nice instrument packs

5 Likes