Podcast Recs

I’m home with a 2 year old a good bit right now. I have a general ANTI PODCAST belief system, lol.

But I’m finding myself wanting to put something on every now and then while I clean, do dishes etc.

For context I like things that are researched and documentary-like. Or long form in-depth interviews. I liked the podcast Cocaine & Rhinestones, and some of the work by Matt Marble.

I can’t stand the “random people get together to shoot the shit about twitter beefs and half baked political takes” style of podcasting that is so prevalent.

Thanks for any recommendations!

1 Like

Not a podcast but the redbull music academy interviews are great and long format. Try the bootsy collins or Susan Rogers (prince’s engineer). Also the sunset sound recorder interviews are solid. Both on YouTube.

2 Likes

I’ve always been a fan of ‘This American Life’. And for long form interviews, ‘Fresh Air’ is pretty good.

2 Likes

“You’re Wrong About”

Hardcore History (lots of free episodes on Apple podcasts etc)

Music-related: Strong Songs

2 Likes

One of my favorite podcasts (Hi-Phi Nation) is about philosophy, but they do have a cool episode about Adorno and popular music, especially mashups: S1, Episode 5: The Cops of Pop (Feb. 21, 2017) – Hi-Phi Nation

1 Like

The Sneaky Art podcast is awesome. About sketching specifically but touches on philosophy, how to sustain a creative habit, etc.

+1 for this American Life.

Also reliably good and excellent sound design: Radiolab. Maybe start with the episode on colors or the mini series on the history of recording.

If you like long form, you can check if one of the Serial/NYT productions sound interesting to you. Shit Town could also be for you.

Ezra Klein is a great interviewer and covers a wide range of topics from politics to philosophy. Maybe you find something in his archive that is interesting to you.

For music-related stuff, I‘d reccomend Broken Record, Tape Notes, Why We Bleep and Song Exploder.

1 Like

“Fall of Civilizations” is my favorite podcast… each episode is very well produced, and usually a few hours long.

2 Likes

You’re welcome:

2 Likes

Art + Music + Technology was my favorite podcast (RIP Darwin). There won’t be anything new on there, but there’s a hell of an archive to check out. It’s on most platforms that have podcasts.

3 Likes

I can recommend:

Twenty Thousand Hz (sound stuff)

99% invisible (design and architecture and stuff)

Darknet Diaries (hackers, pen testers, other scary internet security stuff)

Hanging out with audiophile’s (Jamie Lindell’s podcast)

Mindscape with Sean Carroll (theoretical physicist Sean Carroll is really smart and then talks to other really smart people about big picture ideas, science, political philosophy, culture, social science, environmental science)

3 Likes

I tend to prefer audiobooks to pods these days, but I always make time for these:

Tape Notes

Naval Podcast (VC/science/technology pod with interesting guests - not about the Navy)

Econtalk (lots of stuff on Israel/Palestine at the moment, which is almost too bleak for me to think about, but he gets really interesting guests)

The Deep Life

Machine Learning Street Talk (ostensibly about AI/ML, but always veers into neuroscience and philosophy)

1 Like

“What Had Happened Was” is a fantastic podcast where each season is an interview series focused on a different hip-hop legend. Highly recommend if you are even remotely interested in hip-hop, especially the season with Prince Paul.

“Something True” is a short-run podcast about bizarre moments in history. Episodes are 15-20 minutes long, and while they are generally humorous, they pack a surprising amount of research in that time.

“Game Studies Study Buddies” is an esoteric pick, but well worth it if you are interested in game studies in academia. Every episode, two media studies scholars examine an academic book related to game studies. Good starting episodes are “Beyond a Boundary,” “Addiction by Design,” “Man, Play and Games”

2 Likes

Meat Team

3 Likes

Highly rec Awake All Hours, electronic music review pod based out of Bristol. Lots of great interviews with artists like Bruce etc.

1 Like

I’d Hit That. Interviews with session drummers/musicians.

1 Like