Pluto Synth

I love the sound of this synth!

If I hadn’t just acquired my M, I’d be trying to get one. Hopefully sometime in the nearish future though.

Anyway, yes Phase Distortion is very interesting, and can make some very cool and interesting sounds. I also don’t like programming the Casios though.

One of my favorite implementations was a really tiny VST by reFX called Plasticz.

It’s so simple, but you can get some really nice sounds.

There was a little forum mission years and years ago to make a track using a single simple synth. I used Plasticz. (made every sound in this track with it)

Anyway, just saw mention of Phase Distortion and my brain perked up a bit :smiley:

1 Like

yes that sounds great. i love the pd sound in general. it seems more interesting to me than most things around now. maybe just because there are so few synths that use it.

but the M is a great choice. i love that thing so much. unbelievable sounds they’ve crafted with the asic bug+those wavetable+that filter. my god man. i need to get another one someday

i’d love a modern pd synth. i just dont know if the pluto has a lot of actual synthesis functions that are controllable on the front panel. i would like waldorf to make a pd synth though, that would rule

1 Like

Now that the Pluto’s been out for a few months, how are people feeling about their purchases?

Is it something that you’re continuing to use in your setup?

1 Like

I am over the moon with it, and whenever I use it, I feel joy. It’s a special little instrument, IMO. I don’t record or anything tho, I just like to jam and zen out.

4 Likes

I’m also in love with the thing. Often these smaller / cheaper devices have a short honeymoon period but no so the Pluto which is just really fun and musical to play…hard to get it to sound bad.

Only slight negative is the lack of serious sound shaping controls which means it can get a little samey, but then limitations are a good thing sometimes. I’m also really enjoying using it as a midi sequencer to sequence 2 channels of a Digitone while passing the Pluto output through the Digitone Fx which all works really well. The sequencer design and the way it works with midi makes it very useful just as a sequencer IMO. Love the way that the level jacks on the Pluto affect the midi output as well as the onboard synth…very clever. The scale pot is also just fun to play and reigns the chaos in when necessary.

2 Likes

That’s great to hear. I don’t plan to buy one of these anytime soon (which is easy enough since they aren’t currently available) but I’ve been intrigue by it ever since it was made public. Its sound, interface, and overall concept is very appealing to me, but I’ve wondered if it would have enough depth to sustain my interest. I can totally see how it might be a really satisfying instrument for jamming and zoning out with, but I was concerned that it might not integrate well with a larger setup (given it’s rich sound, emphasis on its internal delay and sequencer.) I must’ve overlooked the fact that it has midi din output. The fact that it can sequence external synths is really appealing!

So Modern Sounds updated the © date on their web-site to 2023, so even though you can’t see it Pluto is still up there in the sky somewhere.

Hopefully if they make another go round with this product they have enough for sale so you won’t miss it if your web-browser sneezes. Or maybe they’re on to something else new, which is OK too.

You’ve got to love it, that there is room for smaller companies to dream and create.

1 Like

I missed the opportunity to buy one of these last year. Checking in on this thread it seems like folks who did get one are really enjoying it.

I saw @ddiamond84 's noodling demonstration. Anyone have links to videos or songs they made that integrate the Pluto?

I still quite like it. Very grateful I was in a position to preorder back when it was available. It’s found a place in generating background elements and odd MIDI sequences for things here and there.

Videos

These little songs were for the Pluto discord to show how I was using a little 2-fader box with it to have level control over each voice. I had forgotten I made them! Hope you find something useful to takeaway from them.

The uptempo one
Pluto Fields II - YouTube

The not-uptempo one
Pluto Fields III - YouTube

2 Likes

Very nice! In these examples is the M8 doing the sequencing as well as audio recording or are the two device sequencing themselves independently (other than tempo)?

Yep, they are independent except for clock. M8 is sending MIDI clock only to Pluto. Pluto is sequencing itself. Audio from Pluto to the Slim Slider (voice 1 left, voice 2 right) into M8, dual mono. (edit: thank you!)

some nice standalone ambient: (first vid has fx, others none)

7 Likes

I realised this and the T-8 are almost the same size, and both battery-powered:

Pluto synth: 190.5 x 87.5 x 40 mm
Roland T-8: 188 x 106 x 36 mm

They make a great combo! Was there ever a second batch released? It’s such a special little instrument, I hope more are made!

1 Like

Pluto is back!

6 Likes

Good to see they have decided to go for a general release on this, with a wide distribution.
A lot better chance of picking one up this time round,

Some small mods to the design, again signs that they are serious about this as a product.

1 Like

Yes! Hoping to get one this time around!

Can’t say enough good things about it. I’m tempted to get a second one.

6 Likes

I recently ordered one, it looks and sounds great. I’m curious why the CV outs were removed. Odd decision but not a deal breaker.

1 Like

Also ordered one from Juno (I had to, GAS, arrgh!), but it’s pretty unclear to me if/when it will arrive. The Modern Sounds website seems to suggest it’s available now, while Juno says something about January next year.