Pluto Synth Alternatives or Portable Semi Modulars?

Recently, many synthesizer makers have begun creating their synths in smaller sizes, with USB-C connectivity, making them easy to travel with. This leads to a nice immediacy in playability.

I’m searching for something like that in the semi-modular synth world. So far, I’ve only found the Modern Sounds Pluto, but it’s quite expensive and sold out.

Do you know anything similar? I’m looking for something with “big possibilities in a small shape” to travel with me or play as soon as I feel the need. Thanks!

A ‘virtual’ interface but I would argue it’s creatively and sonically just as nice. You will need a computer.

https://www.arturia.com/products/software-instruments/buchla-easel-v/overview

Otherwise the amazing ø-coast is a good shout.

Not sold out - at least …

If you want real portability and little cost, check out iOS apps, many are also working fine on an iPhone. There are plenty synths, sequencers, mini-DAWs available.

i’m a hardware guy but while on holiday i’m enjoying Reaktor Blocks on my laptop coupled with a Midi Fighter Twister. every time i think “perhaps i’ll get back into Eurorack” i just open Reaktor and that scratches the itch and my overdraft breathes a sigh of relief.

Ough, sorry. Saw from Martin pas that it was sold out.
Anyway it’s really expensive still.
Unfortunately I am not in search of something digital, I really prefer hardware stuff. Maybe something will be announced soon if there isn’t yet

Hardware guy too, so I am unfortunately not willing to go for something digital, just realised that superbooth is in less than a month, maybe some brands will new synths

Pluto loooks so cuuute :blush: and has wavetables…

There is also something like this, the design looks close, but it’s MUCH bigger and features are very different (however the demos speak to me more, this modular lo-fi delay, omg, so yum)

1 Like

This is due in June, though oriented towards drones - but is battery powered, looks like a lot of fun and is relatively cheap too:

The new Stylophone CPM DS-2

It’s been touted as the first of a series, so who knows what they might come up with in the format next?

2 Likes

I was looking at the Volca Modular for a long time. It’s nice, has a lot of features and the only Buchla-style synth of such size and price. I like everything but the sound. The core oscillator and modulations do not sound great on demos.
Can be paired with Bastl Kastle probably (other synths from Bastl are cool, but not everything is cheap, SoftPop 2 is about 500?)

1 Like

The core sound is definitely not something that might be reached for first when wanting to make standard subtractive synth tones because it’s definitely not that at all. It does require exploration and maybe some lateral thinking (for me at least) to get the best out of the Volca Modular.

I was inspired to switch mine on for the first time in ages and found that I’d apparently created some sort of pulsating rhythmic loop that sounds quite punchy, especially when sent through a few FX.

1 Like

Yeah, kind of high for a little guy, but Bastl Softpop 2 has been a real treat.

It definitely has a unique character to it and I’ve been having plenty of fun little sessions getting lost in it on its own.
I think this is due in large part to the quick sequencer and scales.

2 Likes

Does it have to be natively USB-powered, or are you OK with using a Ripcord or Birdcord? That opens up a lot of additional options, like any of the MakeNoise 0-Coast/0-Ctrl/Strega trio, or Cre8Audio East Pest/West Pest.

Anyway, I hesitate a little to recommend this one, because you’ll have a hard time finding one, but my own favorite little portable semi-modular is The Human Comparator’s The Recursive Machine. Only semi-modular I have ever found that is normalled for crazy feedback. Yes, you can break the normals and use it like a more “normal”-sounding synth, but I love that it comes ready to do the kinds of drone and feedback stuff I love without a single patch cable. It was DIY-only, and they’re all sold out, so you’d have to find one on the used market, but it’s worth hunting down. Built-in (crappy but usable) speaker, carrying handle. Runs on 4 AAs, but can either be converted to a USB jack fairly easily by someone with DIY knowhow, or just throw MyVolts ReVolt “batteries” in and convert it to USB that way (that’s what I did).

Hainbach had fun with it:

2 Likes

did not know about this thing but it is absolutely what I am looking for. So special sounds, I’d love to have it but I couldn’t find it anywhere on the used market place in EU.

I am truly thankful for this recommendation man, what a synth

1 Like

def looking at this. does look fun, complete and easy. should be easy to integrate and portability is always a plus.

1 Like

Holy cow! Stylophone made that?!

You mean to tell me that simple cute company that makes those pen synths made that?!

Man Stylophones been going crazy recently and I’m loving it :grinning:

1 Like

Ah I missed that bit. SP2 has that trapezoidal mini USB. Micro? For a “universal” thing, USB is confounding at times.

The bus is universal, the cables are not. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Anyware Instruments Tinysizer :sunflower:

1 Like

Apparently it’s the first of a planned series of instruments too.