Plug-in synths / generators with patch randomiser?

What synths or other noise generator plugins do you know of with a randomiser button? I think it’s really advantageous to have, a whole new jumping off point that you wouldn’t have found through the rote ways of making sounds you’d have otherwise. It also helps you find things you’d not expect from a synth, and it’s a real omission on some more complex synths too.

One of the most fun ones I’ve had recently is Uhe Filterscape VA synth, with a slider starting from slightly changing what you have to all the way up to completely random. Shame it’s the only Uhe with it.

Korg opsix native. And it can do it selectively.

The wavestation iOS app also has very fun patch randomisation. Works well as a rhythm starting point for a song.

1 Like

can’t say I remember any vsts that do that natively, but in Live it’s pretty simple to randomize anything with a rack and macros, I use this a lot for effects but it will work with any instrument too. the real fun part about this method is you can instantly store and recall these random results in a macro variation snapshots, which is super cool.
the downside is you have up to 16 params per rack you need to map, but you can easily save these as presets and just bring them any time.

Access Virus TI /Snow
Preen FM2 (and I assume 3)
Midibox SID (DIY SID synth)
Waldorf Blofeld

1 Like

Yes I’ve have tried that with some of the Fors stuff, it’s definitely an option, though can be a bit of a faff to set up.

I was trying to think of the one that I’ve used that’s a bit more selective and that must be it. I can imagine myself getting the hardware at some point.

I really like the random patch generator on the Virus Ti - it’s one of the very few things I miss in the OsTIrus emulator. Given that it’s emulating the hardware, I really hope there’s a way they can implement it.