Plogue ChipSynths

launch demo

3 Likes

They’re so brilliant and thorough it’s insane… the breakdown vids make my hair fly back. This thing sounds really good too,

1 Like
7 Likes

I’ve been waiting for chipsynth 64 for months (if not years)!
David Veins is a mad scientist with a real dedication to recreating the essence of original hardware.

Really cool software; I love Plogue’s megadrive and DX7 recreations.

PS: I’m new here guys; Cheers to all. Long long time lurker btw :slight_smile:

6 Likes

not even expensive either, I was expecting 100 quid, but at 45 it is a total no-brainer.

3 Likes

Already my favorite vst

2 Likes

I’m on Debian stable since July and I’m gradually shifting all my current music related work here on Linux (mainly recording and mixing rock bands, with a minimalistic approach).

I hope to try it soon via yabridge or similar in Reaper because there’s no a native Linux option atm.

I purchased ChipSynth 64 for my spouse as a Christmas gift. It was warmly received. I finally got to try it out myself. The UI is clean and pretty easy to understand, the sounds are everything you’d expect from SID, and there’s some nice built-in effects. (My favorite is the multitap delay with stereo panned repeats.) There’s also neat sequenced modulation possibilities with the parameters to simulate how programmers would change the oscillator type, etc between notes in a sequence to get the most out of the limited hardware.

I always want to know if I can make a good drone when I get my hands on something new, and I got some nice results from getting hands-on with the controls with a continuous MIDI chord and the various effects. (I cheated and turned on polyphony.)

One thing to note is that if you use Ableton and enjoy mapping plugin parameters to Ableton macros so you can use automation curves, etc., that didn’t really work for me (at least for the parameters I tried). But that is a very minor thing, and I wouldn’t want anyone to miss out on the plugin or for Plogue to go to a lot of extra effort.

Overall, I would highly recommend the plugin!

5 Likes

I just downloaded a demo of C64 and I’m loving the sounds I’m getting, but is there really no way to set the levels between the 3 oscillators, or am I just dumb? Would like to figure this out before I buy decide to buy it.

1 Like

Since I have a multi-voice TherapSID+TurboMIDI, I didn’t grab the C64 one of these. However, I did grab the ChipSynth MD one. (as I sold my megaFM) Actually loved the megaFM, but ran out of table space when I got the 3rd Wave. The Plogue ChipSynthMD is filling in nicely there.

4 Likes