Plays free is freaking me out

No, it doesn’t imply that.

As I wrote: track is still a track (series of trigs), so it needs a sequencer to execute this sequence step by step to make sound. PLAYS FREE means it uses its own sequencer (so to speak) and not the common sequencer where all the uncool other tracks are “hanging around”.

PLAYS FREE means it can be started by its own and doesn’t start with all the others.

To play a longer stem (where you need just a single trig) is not really the main use case for PLAYS FREE tracks, but just one of many.

One awesome technique is that plays free tracks can be launched quantized and looped, and if the same track number on the next pattern you switch to is also plays free, the previous patterns plays free track will keep going until you launch the current patterns plays free track of the same track number. This way you you can replace tracks one by one when switching patterns, if they are all plays free…

ooh! operating thetan tier tip, thanks :+1:

EDIT: oh man, I can’t get over how golden this tip is! Much obliged mr Mike.

This function makes the octatrack do what I love about the Akai force, ie. disconnecting the patterns from each other, allowing mixing and matching of patterns across the tracks. The resampling transition trick just became a poor substitute to what one can do with this, assuming it works also for MIDI tracks :loopy:

Never thought about that. Maybe a little too much for newcomers, but really genius. :smiley:

PF works for MIDI tracks too?

Newcomers shouldn’t read this one then :smile: :

On another note, I don’t use Ableton but from what I understand this makes OT behave similarish to clip launching…

Thanks for all this great info guys.

Yep… Every single audio and midi track for all patterns has its own setting for if its plays free, in the pattern settings menu, func+bank outside of grid recording. You have to be in the midi sequencer for midi track settings to appear…