Plays free ideas

hey octa peeps

I’ve been making a couple of videos about plays free mode ideas

here’s the latest one

there are a couple of others also - more focused on ambient processing without the sequencer running at all.

i know there’s already lots of discussions about plays free already so sorry if this should be in another thread mods!

Anyone on the playsfree train? How are you using it?

27 Likes

Cool idea!!

I’m going to jam with that

2 Likes

nice one! let me know what you come up with :slight_smile:

Very good explanation and an interesting technique. In all the years I have never thought of a reason to use plays free or one shot tracks so thanks a lot for this.

Are you using the story cubes for inspiration?

1 Like

great that it gave you some food for thought! i only started to use them this year also and they’ve opened up completely new worlds for me with the OT - if you find an interesting use for them please do share.

i haven’t used the story dice in that way yet, but i did get them out with that intention… also to dress my bare desk a bit :sweat_smile:

how is it that you know their purpose? you’ve used them for creative practice before?

side remark for @tomes

@tomes funnily enough, the theme of the current op-forums battle is “off-grid”, which goes pretty well with OT Play Free functionality ^^
Don’t hesitate to drop a track of yours :wink:

1 Like

oh cheers - i haven’t been on that forum for ages, I’ll take a look :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a set of those dice, I’m not sure why but I think someone at the local board game store might have recommended them. I only use them to make up stories with my daughter, she likes them a lot.

1 Like

hey all - i made another video exploring plays free ideas. hope it gives you some ideas!

8 Likes

that is incredible. I didn’t know you could do plays free with midi tracks to launch quantized arpeggios!! And, really creative use of multiple delays to keep arpeggios ‘running’ simultaneously alongside basslines on a monosynth! also love the way you laid out the melodic progression in four segments - super tactile and performance friendly. I’m definitely going to try this with each of my desktop monos;)

5 Likes

nice one! let us know how it goes and what you discover :slight_smile:

Well done, really dig this and the demo jams sound amazing, really making a lot of use out the Octatrack!

3 Likes

thank you! trying to get as much use out of it as possible… i live in vietnam and it’s difficult to get new equipment here so it pushes me to explore every possible way to use what i already have.

2 Likes

Agreed with everyone- really enjoyed your vids. Don’t get everything lol, so requires further watches - but love your “no hype” approach to YouTube - very refreshing. The best YouTubers are those that keep it real and authentic, which you do definitely.

1 Like

thank you so much! yeah i feel the same way - there are a lot of superlatives flying around on the interwebz… no need to add to the already overtaxed levels of enthusiasm.

i would like to improve the quality in the future, and if I ever manage to recover financially from this (insert tiger king meme) pandemic then I’d love to equip myself appropriately in order to do that.

but as you said - no need for too many star wipes etc. concept is king imo.

1 Like

oh and if I’m not clear with something please do let me know and I’ll try to clarify it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh I will do ,but didn’t feel the need for creative criticism. You do explain what you are doing (it’s complex) and your jams sound boss.
I think it’s my small phone display and not reading the OT display (late at night in my bed) that is the prob :wink:

1 Like

Plays Free tip if not mentioned here : you can latch plays free tracks by switching audio/midi mode. Works well for Hold mode. Press plays free to unlatch.
(In the video, midi plays free tracks 1-3 are latched at 1m16s)

Poor quality video, messy, but here is an experiment with plays free, one shots and fills.

Midi loopback, (cable between midi in/out) 1 bar pattern with 4 tracks + Master track, one shots triggered by Plays Free midi tracks (CC corresponding to ARM), and additional Fill trig condition (1m02s, arrow down + up + page! :smile:).

Expressed differently, I’m using plays free track to send the Control Change corresponding to ARM, in order to arm audio tracks one shots.
It acts as FILL, but per track. You also get the benefits to use plays free synced to the sequencer whenever you press them.

Other ideas here :
Cascading playable fun - #5 by dustmotes

8 Likes

i was waiting for the master to appear!

thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

edit: ok just rewatched again - awesome idea - definitely a fan of individual track fills! also, great performance and sound selection

2 Likes

Man, that is a lot to unpack… I feel like I’m not at that level of octatracking to try and recreate that… sounds amazing though!

2 Likes