Playing RYTM like a monosynth

Anyone here using an external keyboard to play RYTM like a monosynth? Is it possible to have chromatic control over one voice with an external keyboard?

Yes, sounds ballsy too, nice oscillators through some nice filters, nice bonus even with a seemingly restricted architecture for shaping

2 Likes

Been playing mine with a qunexus sometimes. In fact I have quite alot of ext controllers I can use with my AR, like bigger pads and knobs/silders for the volumes and perf macros. I rarely use all three at the same time though :diddly:

The qunexus is a bit to small for swift & enjoyable keyboard action. Will replace it with a keystep soon.

1 Like

can you tell, how do you use qunexus without midi expander? through that box on the right?

yes, it’s the bomebox. I strongly recommend getting one if you have a lot of USB controllers that you want to pipe to DIN MIDI along with advanced data filtering/remapping and bidirectional scriptability.

If you’ve ever heard of Bomes Midi Translator software, this box runs the same software without a computer. Ridiculously useful, as long as you configure it to cater to your soecific needs.

1 Like

not using keyboard but yeah Rytm can deliver massive basslines innit. Also using polyphonically with the same sound across several tracks, or multitimbral polyphonic with different sounds.

Only thing that’s not fantastic for this is the percussion-optimized non-resetting amp envelope, it’s a bit basic and not great for pads.

4 Likes

OP-1 via iConnect4 and set to Rytm’s auto channel. Lots of bass fun. I think if you have a controller with a straight midi out like the Arturia keystep etc you’re good to go without a midi host.

Every song I’ve made on the Rytm I add a little bass-line or melody, usually using BD Plastic for an acid-like bass synth. Sounds good in higher octaves too though. I tend to tell myself I’ll replace it with something else when I get to the DAW phase, but I haven’t yet because it ends up sounding so rich to my ears. Well worth exploring Rytm as monosynth imo.

Listen to some of the official demos from the latest OS. So damn good.

5 Likes

Yes, although I’ve had issues getting pure chromatic tuning to hold.

never noticed that - you realise that some voices have machines which tune to quarter tones - so to jump semitones in the sound you need to step pitch in increments of 2 (even numbers keep it related to normal pitch iirc)

but chromatic has always been very reliable for me, maybe you need to calibrate (though unlikely) - also depends on which machine you are noticing this

For me a lot of the older pre os 1.3 engines won’t keep tune that well but the newer ones do. When I get a chance I’ll post some tuning stats because now I’m curious if my machine behaves as others. With some of the older engines I’ve had to mess with the sweep depth and time to get the note I’m looking for… I calibrated after installing 1.3 and there was no difference in the older engines tuning…

1 Like

okay - i was referring to the post 1.3 machine fest

It has been stated by elektron that some of the machine types introduced before 1.30 do not track pitch super accurately IIRC. However, you can offset the pitch with fine values if you sacrifice an LFO to control the tuning, as the LFO has a 14bit control range unlike the standard 7bit.

3 Likes

I wasn’t sure if it made more sense to post this here, or in my single cycle wave related post from earlier. I think this thread makes more sense.

Obviously using the sampler to play a single cycle wave gives you an almost unlimited amount of “oscillator” options.

I just got a Dave Smith Evolver, and in poking 'bout the intertubes I found this: http://wav2evolver.beigemaze.com/ which I think could also be useful for mucking around with the AR’s sampler.

Granted, it seems like it most useful for creating various fire alarm or smoke detector sounds, but it is a quick, easy, access anywhere way to try out waveshape ideas.

3 Likes

wow, have you tried it already??? how many custom waveforms you can store??

I’ve been meaning to try something like this except maybe get the size up to 512 sample for better resolution of the waveform. I am inclined to think that samples sizes that are powers of 2 are less prone to rounding (and therefore clicking), but I’ve got nothing to prove that

I wonder if these would work:
http://www.galbanum.com/products/architecturewaveforms2010

IIRC they are used inside the NI Massive ssoftsynth, among others

I’ve been using these in my Axoloti projects for a while, should try them on Rytm soon.

1 Like

Yes, thank you all. Playing one of the rytm voices with an external keyboard is just opening this thing wide up for me. will post some examples soon!

2 Likes

Just bought the Architechtural waveforms pack, since they had an end of the year sale… Any recommendations as on how to convert a 32bit wav to a format the AR supports? Do I need to dither?