Playing patterns from the Pyramid

Hello, all. I recently picked up the octatrack, with the idea of sequencing on it, and playing the sequence with the Squarp Pyramid. Basically I want to hit play on the pyramid, and have that start the octatrack. Right now, it’s responding by playing a note on the wrong channel. I’m totally stumped, feeling pretty silly that I can’t get it to even respond to the channel I want it to. I’m not sure what I’m missing. Any help here is appreciated.

EDIT: I just discovered that playing notes on the pyramid will change functions on the OT. Now for some reason T3 is flashing and not outputting sound.

Some midi notes control functions on OT. It’s in the midi implementation in the manual (Appendix C).

If T3 is flashing, it’s cued, outputting sound from the cue outs.

Thanks for that, the note is G4. Now I just have to figure out how to start and stop the OT when I activate the track from the Pyramid.

1 Like

G4 cues the active track.

Seq start is A#1, stop is A1 (or midi start/stop commands).

These are the notes which control functions in the OT, ofc there are also midi cc.

3 Likes

Welcome

(Good ideas that will be mentioned here often is read Melin’s Guide, and the OT manual. In my experience both are worthwhile but jargon-y. They start to make sense as muscle memory kicks in. In a way, it is a bit like learning a DAW).

I use both every day…

I am still new to both of them. (I bought both a couple of years ago, but was sidetracked by life).

I have crazy midi routing but basically it is pretty straight forward. In Pyramid you hit 2nd + fx and scroll to the midi out section. In there you can set up the output of midi clock. Depending on what you are running and how.

In OT hit project button scroll down to midi and open sync. In there you can tell the OT to accept transport and clock.

That makes the Pyramid the master.

You can also under the OT controls (in the OT midi section) tell the OT if you want CC in and note in.

Since I am typically using the Pyramid for all my midi stuff and the OT for all my audio stuff, I have the cc and notes turned off.

Both have a learning curve and at times it has not been easy for me to do what I want. However, the flow back and forth from the two can be extremely satisfying.

So far In the Pyramid, I use patterns a lot as different sections of a song, then record them as I go into the OT. One thing that I did not know for a long time was the whole single trig record thing (yellow). I am starting think a little differently. But that was a good starting approach with the two.

(I have found that the midi fx in the Pyramid are really cool).

Hope I have been helpful, and thank you for joining us. As always peace

2 Likes

I use the octatrack and pyramid together and admit it’s harder to get them working together than it seems. To get the pyramid to change the octatrack’s pattern at the beginning of a bar is a bit tricky based on how the octatrack waits for the PLEN parameter to change patterns. A workaround documented by CreepyPants on squarp’s forum entails using a midi processor to send a midi stop command before the program change.

Alternatively I would also look into the octatrack’s Plays Free mode to see if you really need the octatrack’s tracks tied to it’s internal sequencer. I’ve seen members on squarp’s forum report success with this method too.

One more option would be sending both the octatrack and pyramid midi program change commands simultaneously from a separate device. You can’t change patterns/sequences immediately with this method, but since each device can be configured to change patterns at the beginning of the next bar it can be an easy way to keep them both synced up.

Getting the the octatrack to start when you hit the play button on the pyramid should be pretty straight forward with the instructions above and making sure everything routed correctly. But definitely give yourself plenty of time figuring the octatrack because it takes a bit to get the hang of it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Program Change, Stop, Play actually.

Instead of Stop / Play you can use note B1(35), (Sequencer Restart), just after the Program Change.

2 Likes

Over on the Squarp forum I made a definition file you can download for the Octatrack, it will allow you to control the stuff on the spreadsheet that @Schnork posted, including start and stop of the OT from the Pyramid.

6 Likes

(Not trying to hijack the thread but just want to thank you… I have been putting off using definition files till my flow with the Pyramid is more cemented. I like to take things in steps. I guess, I should check out the definition file thing and see how the OT and Pyramid can work together in a more sophisticated way. I will probably generate a few questions. I like to have enough ground work to smoothy integrate answers).

Definition files make the Pyramid much nicer to use, I have not actually used my Pyramid to sequence the OT, just to arm track recorders, but as you can see from the OT key mappings you can trigger plays free tracks using Pyramid or start/stop the OT sequencer so lots of creative possibilities there.

Another thing, since the OT has 8 midi tracks it can be a handy way to expand the midi on the Pyramid, so for example you could use the 8 OT midi tracks for sequencing an external drum machine, and control all that from just 1 track on the Pyramid.

Tons of fun to be had…

4 Likes