Playing live with only OT - Questions

8T8T8T,

As Eizel said, if you can cut your sample by rendering it in a DAW at the desired tempo you shouldn’t have any problems.

Do you have access to Ableton Live for example?

If yes, place your sample on the Arranger side, make a loop so you can listen to the loop´s “jump”, and if there is no clicks, proceed to export your audio.

Always remember to check that auto fade for audio clips aren´t affecting your clip’s in/out. You can check them in the arranger/track/automation menu -> Fades. Zoom in very close to see if there are no fade in out envelopes. You can deactivate fade in out envelopes to be created automatically from the preferences menu.

If you haven´t access, send me the loop, I can cut it for you and also check if there is any inconsistency.

Anyway what intrigues me is the fact that the first restart it doesn’t makes a click but the second it does.

Are you using the full sample, it has Loop ON? Have slices on it?

Wow Machinedrum user here… That all sounds complicated to me…

yes it is :confused:

seriously waiting for the first smart company able to build a sampler that does: simple playback/record like sp’s, multisampling patches like mpc’s, fx like elektron and autosampling like logic with lot’s of ram. Drop the sequencer just offer a superior sampling engine and i buy it.

thanx first of all. trying to get it, but… :slight_smile: not so easy to understand. video will be very welcome.

I’m opening my club these Thursday so I’m a bit busy but I will do video next week, promise.

Oh snap, man!

Hello friends,

I’d wish to play a set with only OT, but I’m struggling which is the best way for me…
I used to play it with Ableton. For each song I rendered Drums, Bass and Rest separately and cut them up into smaller loops for each song part (e.g. intro, main part etc). Then I had two “channels”. Song 1 was on channel A, song 2 on channel B etc., so I could crossfade for transitions.

Has anyone any suggestions how to manage something like that in the OT.
My first try was to use 1 bank per song, the patterns per bank for the different song parts and track 1-3 for drums, bass, rest and track 4 for resampling to do that transition trick.
But I’m not sure if this is a good solution. And the transition trick with resampling didn’t work for switching between banks (I guess I do something wrong).

Do you guys use whole tracks for your Live set or do you split them into drums, bass etc?

I would be so great to get some advices. Thanks in advance.

btw, the Arranger tricks sound very interesting, but really complicated for me :wink:

Ah ok, I think I got it.
Great ideas, thank you… I guess, if you haven’t rendered the different song parts as one wave, but as individual loops, you can also put different sample logs in one pattern, instead of slices. So you could also achieve several song parts per pattern.
Not sure how to structure a whole set in this way, but I’ll try.

The beauty of the OT is that you can do it the way you’ve been doing, or with even more granularity (up to eight different simultaneous stems / independent sounds), or basically just DJ with fully rendered tracks. I personally prefer to have as many independent sounds as possible so I can create structure by muting & cuing the tracks – dropping out the kick while bringing in the hats, that sort of thing. It also allows me to run each sound through its own track’s effects.

Everyone is different, but I find approaching performance this way makes me feel closer to the music, and able to structure it on the fly without having to depend on too many patterns/parts per song.

BTW, not sure why your transition trick isn’t working – might reread some old threads on the subject. Little details can make frustratingly big differences on the OT :wink:

@unifono

never played live, but from what i heard it is important to have at least your kicks on a seperate track. So you can tweak frequencies at soundcheck.

arranger could be used for banks transitions. You actually get out of arranger mode and into the last pattern played by the arranger.

For the transition trick you may read alternative solutions in the forum.

Many thanks for the answers.
I think I’ll have Kick, Bass and Melodies on extra channels. You have a lot more control to the overall sound and you are able to kind of remix your songs on the fly…

@rozzbud
How would you use arranger for bank transitions? Could you explain it a little further?

I try to get my head around the methods gbravetti described. Sounds really useful, since I worked with Ableton before…

Little update: The transition trick works well. Little details made big differences :wink:

How do you connect RMX-1000? Is it connected directly to the external mixer or back to the Octatrack input?
If you had 2x OT would you still buy RMX? Is there anything RMX do better compared to OT?

Someone alive here to give some thoughts on this?

@gbravetti

Let’s keep this to a single thread, please. You’re more likely to get answers there than by putting forward the same question in a thread that’s been silent for three years…

2 Likes

Arranger Mode is very static. Basic tracks can be made in a static machine and build your performance around in the other 6-7 tracks in flex mode and with pattern and parts. Use scenes, pattern locks, conditional tricks, etc to bring live in your set…

I don’t think so. You can make loops of chained patterns, and jump from one to another as you like, while playing with scenes and crossfader…

3 Likes

It’s only static when you don’t do anything, but let it play. Additionally to what @sezare56 said, you can also temporary jump out of arranger mode, do whatever you want and jump back in again. You can even “remix” your patterns by playing just a few trigs of a pattern or the pages in different order or similar tricks.

So, yeah, the arranger is so much more than a simple pattern list player. Just use your imagination and creativity to make it dynamic.

3 Likes

Depends if you treat it more like a playlist for patterns or more like a tracker.
When you use the rows more in the tracker way, it’s also very useful for recording!
You have pattern offset, midi transpose, BPM per row + scene assignments.
You can even jump around the rows, chain stuff…
And it let’s you write notes!

I rarely use the it, because I started to record the stereo out of my boxes some time ago to focus more on the actual performance, but the arranger certainly can spit out some wild stuff :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, the idea was not to ask the same question here, it was to invite anyone to that thread.

2 Likes