Playing live with a minimal M:S & iPad setup

For a super easy live setup (just the two channels out of the M:S to the PA) I’ve found the class compliant audio from the iPad unexpectedly useful. USB audio from the iPad into the M:S, in my case two synths sequenced from the M:S inside AUM (where I can submix and process) audio goes into the M:S added to the other four voices and that is all. Really opens up the palette available without carrying a lot of hardware or hardware sub mixers around.

5 Likes

do you have a video of this kind of stuff ?

Spot on. Really smart usage of equipment features. Tech update on playing cues & loops off a crappy phone routed through Roland SP or monomachine inputs.

1 Like

Not yet, is it interesting/useful enough to do one do you think?

Also a good technique! The gain staging can be fiddly with the iPad audio, you have to control the iPad synths volume inside there relative to M:S as there is no input volume control.

definitely.

Are you finding this stable? I’ve got an iPad Air 2 running Samplr connected via the camera connection kit to the M:S, but audio from the iPad constantly drops out on me - I have to disconnect and reconnect the USB cable to get sound coming back in again… it is driving me nuts. Have you done a full set this way? What is the spec of your setup (iPad, connection to M:S?)

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!
P

1 Like