PlayDifferently MODEL1 or NOT?

PlayDifferently MODEL1… Or not…

Long story short: I was going to be the happy owner of a MODEL1 in 2018.

Went and bought a unit in a shop in Lausanne (Switzerland) which I would totally NOT recommend. Apart from being elitists as well as not so knowledgeable, the management is really on the poor side: no support offer whatsoever the minute you drop your cash on the table… Might have been innocent/naive on this one…

These nice people actually sold me a demo unit.

Back home, problems immediately started as the HPF pot was generating a very disturbing noise which eventually turned into a fried pot after a couple of months.

Prior to this I had gotten in touch with the A&H support who had told me that the mixer needed time to break in… Which is fine and totally understandable… To the point where the pot actually fried…

Couple of months later and after a removal from France to Spain, I got in touch again with A&H to have the mixer serviced…
That is when the story got bad: it actually took 2 years and 7 returns to factory to have A&H finally admitting that there was a problem with this mixer.
All PCBs were exchanged, repositioned, entire lines had to be swapped for new ones, assembly/disassembly was “poorly executed” as per their words!!! Excess of flux had bled on circuitry… The list is never ending, I actually had to track every single issue (assessed officially by A&H) as I was losing track of what was done in this unit… The list is as follow:

1. HPF Master Filter
  2. HPF Contour pot CH 1
  3. HPF Contour pot CH 2
  4. HPF Contour pot CH 3
  5. HPF Contour pot CH 4
  6. HPF Contour pot CH 5
  7. HPF Contour pot CH 6
  8. CH 1 (004-773)
  9. CH 2 (004-774)
  10. CH 4 (004-776)
  11. CH 6 (004-778)
  12. Both AL10476 harnesses
  13. Excess of flux off other boards
  14. Noise in operation of CH6 Sculpt pot:
    Confirmed. ACTION: Channel 6 PCBA was a new item fitted in the previous service to address a different issue. The complete channel assembly will be replaced.
  15. “Cue/Mix pot is showing issues as it is not possible to have it turned full way to Cue … rubs against the metalwork when it reaches the Cue (left) side…”
    Confirmed. ACTION: Problem problem is caused by the CUE/MIX pot cap, there is no fault with the function of the pot. Replacement of the pot cap component resolves this issue.
  16. Channel 2 Cue A is rubbing against metalwork
    Confirmed. ACTION: CH2 PCBA > top panel alignment repositioned.

STAGGERING is the word I believe.

2 years down the line and without my mixer I really started to get fed up… That is when the support team actually decided to send me a new unit… Not so easily as the story had been going on 2 years and the unit was not anymore under warranty!!!
After a lot of back and forth and getting in touch with EU rep, product manager and others, I eventually got them to return my original unit for a new one (lot of energy went in).

Sad story is I paid for a premium product and was without it more than half the time of these 2 years.

It made me work in a different manner and this is the reason why I sold this fully WORKING brand new unit as I do not use it anymore.

I was not going to write or say anything but realized my bad luck could serve as experience for others :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER:
Will certainly not buy anything A&H anymore as this is not a first one with them. But that is personal and no judgement regarding the brand.

8 Likes

Sorry to hear about that, but i think it was just misfortune. Never trust swiss! :wink:
I´ve the A&H Xone:96 and do not have any issues with the device. But it would be nice to get your filter caps!! :slight_smile:

Made my day :slight_smile:
Yes indeed it was misfortune.
Not buying new anymore.
Had a DB4 prior to MODEL1 and it was a catastrophy driverwise. An issue with hex code badly written/implemented. Though the effects engine on it was incredible.
Now working with a MIDAS 160.

2 Likes

This is so hot!!
Muchisimas gracias!! :smiley:

1 Like

Nice :blush:

1 Like

Pff bad story. Hope my x:96 keeps going. Though i got it a business to business supplier with it s own service department that i work with a lot. I trust their service.

If they are built like 92, no worries

Gonna resurrect this thread a little :slight_smile:

Folks, help me out a little.
Does adding external effects to model 1 make you sacrifice a channel or two?

Model 1 has two dedicated stereo returns (in addition to the 6 stereo channels), each with their own gain. They share a fixed low-cut filter and can be assigned to the master filter section.

I use Analog Heat and a Doctor A delay/reverb as external send effects.

2 Likes

All righty then! Thank you!
So… a really dumb question: if i get the model 1.4, will i still be able to use my dark trinity, plus effects, plus another little stereo synth? (I assume, yes)

Also - will model 1/1.4 accept a mono synth and play it in “the middle”?

And one more thing - will i be able to use a regular channel as an extra send/return?

Yes, you can, of course use a regular channel as return. In terms of fx sends, there are two stereo sends on each channel (one of them assignable pre or post fader). In addition, you can use Cue B as a third fx or aux send - but only on the DSub output connector and without being able to dial in the send amount). I use this third send for instance to send channels back into OT for sampling or fx.

I think it really helps to have a look at the manual for better understanding the inputs and outputs.

No, this is one of the big drawbacks imho. Model 1 doesn’t have panning, and unfortunately the stereo inputs do not ‘normal’ a mono signal. In practice this means that a mono signal (eg AR kick or a monosynth) needs to be split and sent to both L and R inputs of a channel. I think that’s the rather unfortunate DJ mixer heritage… being able to switch to dual mono would be so good…

I use a XONE:PX5 that I bought used (but mint) for a bit of a steal. No driver issues and the soundcard side is totally seamless. Mixer sounds great and has everything I need for my current workflow. The effects are OK - they have their place - I use them rarely.

I’d go for the XONE:96 or Model 1 if I could justify the cost… but I cannot :slight_smile:

With the extra analog filters you’re getting your moneys worth though.

1 Like

Gotcha! This really does help with the choice!
I was eyeing the xone 96, but they are difficult to come by in my town.

Theres a mint db4, on the other hand, slightly cheaper than a model 1.4… the decision is really tearing me apart, as you might imagine:))
The loopers the fx, the fun with the assignable channels would be perfect for my live jams!
But I am afraid db4 is limited for growing into it. Its dated and locked in, and… it is all digital:)

Ah, the filters is what i am after, most of all! I did look at the px5, but having only one return is a no-go for me. I have tons of strymons (im also a guitarist), so… would really hate to limit myself here

1 Like

Makes sense! My effects are in the chain so having the 1 send (for Digitakt sampling) and a master insert (for the Analog Heat) worked out perfect for me - the heat giving me a master filter too.

DB4 feels like a very different choice to the Model 1 - I feel like I’m always summoning Dave Mech so I won’t do it again, but his videos are great to see how he makes use of a DB4.

I feel like they meet different briefs personally. DB4 is more of a digital effects powerhouse - with the Model 1 being more of a traditional analog box with oodles of filters.

You just need to keep in mind that the Model 1 (or the Model 1.4) is not at all a ‘swiss army knife’ mixer designed for a large range of input situations (compared, for example to the SSL Six) - it is a bare-bone, six-channel DJ mixer with high quality phono preamps, a wide range of filtering options (per channel and master section) and exceptional overall sound quality, but it can be annoyingly limited in some other respects, eg. sending mono signals.

This!
What i am after is really jamming improvs on the fly.
I just borrowed a beat up pioneer djm-600 from a friend, a week ago and… to my wallets remorse, i have to admit, that having a DJ mixer in a setup for me could really improve the way I play and mix.
The pioneer is pretty terrible though, but it does have okeish FX and such.
The GAS is tearing me apart!