Pittsburgh Modular Microvolt 3900

The Korg Monologue does wavefolding through a filter!

Itā€™s quite tame wave folding though? I did look at it but based off my minilogue I thought it wasnā€™t quite the same as these other examples but Iā€™ll look into it moreā€¦ Thanks!

I just grabbed mine and did an init patch with just triangle wave on VCO 1, the effect is pretty pronounced and once you bring in a second triangle on VCO 2 and start folding, you can get a pretty large variety of sounds just using the shape knobs. Then, if you record in automation lanes for both folding parameters with no note data in the sequencer, it sounds awesome while playing the keyboard. Then of course you have the rest of the synth to shape the sound as well. LFO set to modulate filter in ā€œfastā€ mode, INT set to 50%, cutoff set to 50%, playing with the rate around 50%-60%ā€¦ those are sounds you would not expect to hear from this synth!!! Then add a modulation lane for the filter cutoff, set resonance to 75% and start jamming on the keyboard, holy shit, this synth has superpowers! These are my live patch notes to you :kissing_heart:

BTW when you evaluate the Monologue, you should always leave the sequencer running with all note data cleared and use the modulation lanes as 4 drawable LFOs. CRUCIAL to getting the most from this synth, very easy to take a mundane patch and make it magical.

4 Likes

Iā€™m going to get one next week while Iā€™m waiting for other bits, the distortion you can get running stuff through these sounds amazing. I have to wait until October for Sv1b stock now, so this will keep me going until then.

Looking forward to thatā€¦

1 Like

I found one at a really good price so I went ahead and ordered it, Figured I could easily flip it for the same I paid if I donā€™t get on with it but based on demos, I think this thing will be a keeper for me.

The monologue has tempted me for a long time too but ultimately it doesnā€™t offer enough unique features over what Iā€™ve currently got to justify me buying it as much as Iā€™d like to haha!

Now when this and my second Motas-6 arrive my studio will be complete :sweat_smile:

Still got a few bits to sellā€¦

1 Like

I think you will dig it. The Microvolt 3900 sounds great, and packs a lot into small package. It feels well built, and has some heft to it. The wave folder is very nice, and the dynamic VCA gives a nice variety, and can get some marvelous plucky sounds. And the price is right on these. I wonā€™t go on, since you already have one on the way, and you will be jamming with it soon enough.

1 Like

Youā€™ll find out soon so Iā€™ll just make a couple notes.

They did a great job with the distortion. It seems carefully tuned for the synth.

Re build: im skeptical of things getting in these sliders so I keep it covered and use compressed air often. One of the buttons came off the other day but I popped it right back on without an issue.

Pitch: it does drift a bit but not too much that its a problem. I consider it part of the synths character.

I donā€™t often use the filter on the wavefolder as youā€™re manipulating the harmonics anyway. The wavefolder is not as rich as the one on the OC but it is nice and welcome and adds a really nice character mixing in with other waveforms.

Enjoy. Great synth.

1 Like

Sounding really good, Iā€™ve liked a lot of what Iā€™ve heard in demos which have been somewhat limited compared to what I imagine this thing is capable of.

It seems like the perfect mix of things Iā€™m looking for as my final synth in my now reduced studio.

Will report back once Iā€™ve had a good play with it, maybe record some demos too.

I have read about a midi click issue and flimsy buttons on several forums

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen the midi click mentioned, Iā€™ve only seen the same 1 person mention it across all the forums and someone else apparently contacted PM about it and they said it was due to using low impedance headphones with the headphones outā€¦ People using it through a mixer or something had never heard the clicks but weā€™ll seeā€¦ Iā€™ve also been thinking that Iā€™ll probably sequence this via CV from the A4 so I can get portamento / glide.

The buttons apparently are a bit wobbly and can come off but are also easy to fix if they do so they donā€™t sound like too much of an issue.

All in all, I think Iā€™ll probably be happy with this thing even if it feels a little flimsy.

Some of the random youtube videos are pretty dull. Thereā€™s tonnes of the actual site. Some nice bits in the Sonic State review are really nice.

For the price I think youā€™re really getting quite a lot.

1 Like

Iā€™ve never had a midi click issue. And as mentioned, the buttons pop back in pretty easily (and it takes a lot of pressure. A cable had slipped between them without my noticing and I was pulling on it good before it came off).

Edit: this just happened again so thought Iā€™d mention it. The midi can get confused (after switching sources, maybe). If it seems non responsive un/replug the midi adapter cable from the synth

1 Like

Mine arrived today! Iā€™ve only had a chance to turn it on and check that everything is working ok and had a quick play around through a small speaker but so far Iā€™m impressed!

Itā€™s bigger than I expected which is great as a I have quite big hands. The interface is well laid out so I donā€™t think Iā€™m ever going to have any issues with the small pots / faders. Generally everything feels like good quality, Iā€™ve heard some complaints in regards to the build but I donā€™t see an issue here.

Going to have a good play around with it tonight, will post some audio demos at some point when I have time!

4 Likes

Let me know how it sounds
I am deciding between the MV and the Lifeforms SV1-B

I love mine, Iā€™m storing up a few samples and sequences from it, Iā€™ll share them here when theyā€™re done. It has a good range, from DFAM to Mellotron and itā€™s can do 303 better than a 303. The kicks are amazing. Can do moogish tooā€¦

Youā€™ll be wanting some of these thoughā€¦

Iā€™m really loving it so far! It seems to be a very flexible synth in that it can do drones / pads / basses / leads very well. I think Iā€™ll probably end up using this one for bass and drones more so though. I bought this because I wanted a bit of west coast flavour in my studio so for me thatā€™d be the choice to pick it over the sv1-b.

Iā€™m really impressed with the fold osc, thereā€™s a lot of interesting characters to dial in on it which sound really great being processed by the filter, the other waveforms all sound very nice too although my saw wave seems to be a little quieter than the others? is that normal? Iā€™ll have to try recording the at max volume to confirm that though.

I got some really nice sounds through filter feedback too, works very well on this synth.

I really like the modulation section on this thing too, you can dial it in so that patches evolve in very unusual ways.

Also loving that the patch bay is all to one side, Iā€™ve played with / owned a few other semi modulars in the past and I really couldnā€™t gel with them because of the patch cables being in the way to the point where I can barely tweak anything.

Iā€™d need to sit down with it for longer to have more to say on it but it seems like a very nice synth and exactly what I was looking for.

Look forward to hearing what you make on it and happy to hear that youā€™re enjoying yours!

It does seem to have very good range, seems to do acidic sounds very well which Iā€™m happy for as Iā€™m selling my only 303 box (mb33) to help fund this but I donā€™t think Iā€™ll miss that sound as I have it covered well enough in my synths.

Iā€™ve got a bunch of those passive splitters, I can definitely see myself using them with this thingā€¦ Iā€™d be great to have some passive attenuators to use with it too, I might have to look into how to build some.

1 Like

You can buy cables with attenuators from DV247 Ā£7 each though.

1 Like

Cool, thanks for the tip! Iā€™m going to look into what options there are but I quite like the idea of DIYing something as Iā€™d like to get handier with a soldering iron anyway.

Just out of curiosity, have you noticed the saw wave on your unit being a bit quieter than the rest? I wonder if Iā€™m just imagining it or if itā€™s some kind of psychoacoustic effect but it definitely seems quieter to me.

I just checked now, itā€™s not as fat as the others. The PM pulse is always pretty fat and youā€™d expect the fold to be louder I think. So yep, does sound lower.

1 Like