Pittsburg Modular Voltage Research Laboratory

I kickstarted this with only a few minutes left on the clock. its going to be months before i see mine. its totally going to be worth the wait though.

2 Likes

I sold my eurorack but still get very excited about semimodulars.
I only have the m32 left and thought rebuying an 0 coast. But this looks even cooler.
The microvolt seems also great

2 Likes

I’m so into semi-modulars. Perfect balance re price and features.

The microvolt is very fun.

1 Like

yeah for me semimodulars work much better than a self built eurorack system. You just loose yourself on modular grid and in the end the system is not very balanced. You always need more modules to balance it and then it gets crazy expensive.
These semimodulars are thought out and well balanced

3 Likes

I’m so grateful these are not in stock anywhere in the U.K.
I. Want. One.

2 Likes

I don’t think they’re shipping yet and when they do I think they go to Kickstarters first.

Enough Time to save those pence!!

1 Like

What a wonderful sounding and nicely designed system, it reminds me of the System100m in visual design and cohesion, although obviously not in sound.

Not really into touchpads myself, but nice to see that it is optional.

3 Likes

I keep fluttering between this VRL, the Pulsar23 and I’m getting tormented by the Make Noise Tape and Microsound Machine :exploding_head:

Of course this just means I should switch on the OT and remind myself I need nothing

6 Likes

Always. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

had the same thought. it looks wonderful

1 Like

That is an issue, indeed …

what helped me out is to think “one rack - one instrument” :wink:

and building a rack unit, which has a particular purpose rather than to be an impressive collection of many fascinating modules. At the end such rack instruments are limited - absolutely - but also coherent and fun to play.

And nobody prevents me to put racks or semimodular stuff side by side :wink:

no :slightly_smiling_face: only money perhaps

1 Like

Yes - definitely - money it is :smiley:

I got my VRL the week before last - it’s a really well thought out, great sounding, extremely flexible & well featured little beast.

plus it sounds ( with it’s definite nod to the West Coast way of doing things ) very different to anything else I have. The touch controller / sequencer is also fantastic.
Also, whilst the VRL looks like a semi-modular it’s acutally not : there are no normalised paths - you’ve got to patch everything. Richard from PGH Modular explained that with such a flexible spec making any pre-normalled decisions wouldn’t really make any sense - & he’s right. As there’s pretty much two of everything & many of the modules are multifunctional, you can approach making a patch in a whole host of ways - it actually would have been really confusing given any semi-modular topology really.

I’m sort of already in love with this little instrument & I’ve not even scratched the surface.

6 Likes

I heard Nick(Sonic State) mumble something about a more Lifeforms desktop version of the VCLab?

I really dig it but am wondering if it would be worth just getting the top part…and not the controller but if the controller has a more detailed use with it…and it looks bad as hell…

Also shocked the Lifeforms Desktop is no longer available !

1 Like

Yeah there will be eurorack and desktop versions of the voice, with the keypad and gorgeous little case available separately too. Not sure about the little interface to the right though, maybe exclusive to the entire laboratory version.
Only thing that bothers me about the VRL is the LFO speeds, not sure if they are fast enough to make this essential and lifelong…

It’s definitely worth, if you are interested in the sound only.

The top part and the keypads with integrated sequencer make it a complete and coherent instrument though, which can be played in a west-coast style.

Did you hear them…almost seemed like a defective issue…never mind audible rate…it is like 1/32 tops…thought same thing

They need to do a better job explaining the package and what you need or can buy.

Those new Dreadbox modules are also cool was thinking about putting a little Dread case together.

So voice wise, do you think this is same/less/more capable of side by side w DFAM/MOTHER combo?

Can you do a percussion and synth type combo on the LAB?

The “function generators” are definitely slower -if in LFO mode - if we compare them to the ones I know from Make Noise. The Maths and the “attack/decay” circuit of the 0-Coast can both be used as VCOs, well with a particular tone :wink:

The reason why I ordered one is the complex oscillator, which is supposed to produce much more tones compared to the traditional Buchla modules by “making waveforms foldable, which can not be folded actually”. From the demos I would say, there are quite a couple of special sounds and timbre-transitions possible, which could be unique to the VRL.

1 Like