Pitchless trigs?

Hi!

A quick question: The manual states that you can turn trigs into pitchless trigs by pressing the trig and then pressing exit/no. This doesn’t seem to work… Am I the only one? Seems like such a simple thing, I wonder…

Didn’t even know that that functionality even existed on the MnM. I tried, no dice.

Works for me!

As the manual says: the pitch from the previous note will then continue to sound for the trig.

@josker: When you press and hold the button for the trig that you made pitchless, does the keyboard in the lower left of the lcd show any note?

Best regards

1 Like

[SOLVED] Thread’s 7 years old:

I also thought it wasn’t working - but I got it.

I tested this on 2 monomachines and thought it wasn’t working:
Calmly hold a trig down and move over and press ‘NO’ while still holding the trig.
Doesn’t do anything.

Try this:
within ~20ms (or just “really really quickly” after having pressing the trig down) immediately press NO. You should see the ‘—’ appear. This happened randomly to me and I had to figure out how I did it.

In the drum world this would be like “Flam” your fingers down so they’re almost both instantaneous. The trig HAS to be the first one to be pressed down for the combination to work.
If the “NO” is pressed first, it basically just does nothing so it shouldn’t be a destructive test if you don’t get it right the first few times.

[edit: use cases]

• Why use one?

The ‘—’ is a reference to whatever previous pitch played.
So if you have clusters of notes that are all programmed same pitch, you can ditch ‘repeating’ the entry data of putting the pitches for subsequent notes (like placing a finger on a fret and repeatedly strumming, you only put the finger on the fret down once and it stayed)

Likewise it makes updating your melody easier if you decide “nah I dont’ want that entire run of trigs to be pitch C-7, make it D#3” you only have to change 1 note instead of all of them individually. You refactor/economize the work you put into modifying the line if you’re in the habit of using ‘—’ to represent the repeating of same pitches and you can focus on other stuff.

If you have other tracks forwarding trigs to this track, it can echo the forwarded trig with the ‘—’ trigs that exist on its own track. Depending on how many tracks forward to a given track with ‘—’ notes on it, playing with the mutes of those various tracks forwarding to a track with the ‘—’ trigs present would give variations.

Additionally - if your previous trig has a chord-set of notes on it, and i.e. the arp style is ‘random’ and set super low so it only basically plays 1 note - the ‘—’ operator will repeat the randomly selected note consistently. That is rad.

Just like if you fuck up playing something live, and repeat your mistake exactly, it gives the impression of intention all along… this is a great way of hiding the random selection spamming.

enjoy

8 Likes

thanks. your reply really help!

and I also find a bug in this operation:
if the your finger left trig key before “no” key during the fast action operation,the display would not return to its normal state,and keep show the keyboard state,until next correct trig operation

Great post, here.