Pioneer Toraiz SP-16

Hahaha fair enough. Nothing else in the Toraiz beside p-locks that I’d credit elektron with bringing to the table but I’m obviously missing something…

Really wish there were some in depth reviews of this thing…I could see it being a fun paring with my Elektron gear.

Bro you just blew my mind away. Now I’m holding back on getting one. I might just stick with Mpc + octatrack for flipping samples. Maybe I should just use the money to go to Morocco on holiday.

man i would definitely wait for at least a few commercial reviews, especially one from Nick @ sonic state

they could have a home run with this thing, but then again it could be a flop or anything in-between - what we know for sure is that this is completely new territory for Pioneer, and that usually shows up somewhere in the product

but yeh, im super skeptical of how “awesome” it actually is… im totally prepared to be completely wrong - but we gonna have to wait to find that out

1 Like

the manual for this is already online, btw:

http://docs.pioneerdj.com/Manuals/TORAIZ_SP_16_DRI1377A_manual/

its 47 pages… seems a bit slim for a workstation IMHO

gave it a quick look - the unit seems quite barebones and sparse in terms of features… for example only 4 effects? only 3 types of trigs? (no one shots)… etc. etc. the list goes on

i would expect something like this to land around 750 not 1500… thats fucking insane dude

4 Likes

I used the OT and MPC1000 w/JJOS2XL for a little while last year. There are things I really liked about it, and it’s a near perfect combo for standalone sampling and sequencing. What ultimately did me in was the file system-couldn’t shake the fact that it was essentially a decade+ old computer, and navigating between learning different OSs and the treasure map of the JJOS2XL manual got in the way of getting anything done for me. Some people get on with it better than others, but it wasn’t for me.

1 Like

No one shots? Pass

don’t forget it is version 1.0

The basis of this instrument is really good
slowly they can build something amazing on this
and they will do…

nope they will never add those kinds of features

Why does pioneer release such an unfinished product? Has pioneer ever made a substantial update to any of their products? Why are people holding their breath for this?

Edit did not mean this as a reply to wouzer; just a general comment.

I don’t think it’s unfinished. I just think we’re hardcore and the Toraiz is not. And therein usually lies the larger audience.

3 Likes

this is it in a nutshell - how many people have complained about how complicated and unintuitive the Elektron stuff is? that is the market they are going after - DJs and so forth who are more concerned with other things

i’ll go ahead and say it outright - its dumbed down

its like a cross between MPC and Elektron, with an iPad thrown in for good measure - but its so simple even a child can use it! only 1499! get yours today and ROCK THE HOUSE, SON!

1 Like

What is hardcore?
working life, earning money, having children, between 30 and 40, nerdy interesting…
kind of what ‘we’ are here…

some new trig conditions, extra fx, not so difficult I think. In a video they even say that they start with these fx…

But yes, the market wants a simpel good sounding standalone sampler…

1 Like

If that’s where you are - and it’s definitely where I am, with kids, work, mortgages and so on - then yes, you’re hard core. Anyone who still bothers to take the time for an interest like this, under circumstances like that, was born with passion.

And you should wear that badge with pride.

8 Likes

Yeah you should! Morocco is cool!

simple and easy to use/ fast workflow can be really awesome. I got lost on the OT. and yet found it limited (my midibox SeqV4 goes miles ahead in midi/CV sequencing, yet easier to use). Being somewhere between an MPC and a OT sounds good to me. Now I want to know how it sounds, really. OT sampling is meh, MPC 1000 is meh… I hope the money of this thing means killer dynamics like on the old ensoniqs or emus with modern UI. if its not toraiz, someone else will do it. may be elektron even. Kink says it sounds very good, but he might be paid to say that.

32 sec max. sample length? (Info from muffwiggler) Can anyone confirm this?
If so, this is an overpriced, slightly gaudier E2S… Or a Rytm dressed up as a christmas tree, minus the good analog parts…
OT runs circles around it, mildly put.

I just can’t believe it!

3 Likes

believe it man… its just a really expensive DJ toy… its not a workstation

oddly I could not find anything in the user manual about the types of samples supported - like what bit depth, sample rate, and length etc.

but i did find this:

1 Like

Oof!
I liked the look of this way back, sort of, but I would have gambled on a fumble…
Pity, hopefully they will learn and their next production tools previously alluded to will be wider in scope and function, and audience even!
This is purely transitional I reckon, the feedback should sharpen Pioneer up a bit.

It doesn’t sound like an old school machine, no, but it sounds really nice - think more along the lines of a decent Apogee or Audient audio interface - so clean and modern - but not in an MPC1000 way - in a good way.