Pioneer Toraiz SP-16

This may also be relevant to your interests.

http://www.alowhum.com/deluge-synthstrom.html

from a thread on Muffs:

Soon to released sampler+synth machine. M
Has SD card for samples and built in FM synth and analog synth engine.
32 voice polyphony step sequencing mono and poly parts.
MIDI out+IN and CV gates.

I’ll start a new thread on this one for discussion.

3 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Synthstrom Audible “Deluge” Sampler/Synth/Groovebox

oh yeh im with you, i think the tempest is bad ass - but there is no denying it had issues with launch, bugs, missing features, lack of updates, etc.

in fact id say the tempest is probably way better than this toraiz thing

my point is: wait for some reviews

btw this deluge thing looks pretty cool too, i usually prefer more knobs but im definitely interested in it

Friend of mine has full hardware dj equipment by Pioneer, 2 channel mixer with kind of cdj for USB build in it. Although the eq is not what i like (very digital, never been fan of Pioneer mixers, (New 900 nexus mk2 sounds good though) the fx are really nice. Perfect blend with the sound, very Natural and fantastic usability. If this one has similar fx… It can be nice

1 Like

After some thought, I’m heading back to the Octatrack in preference over the Toraiz.

This Pioneer thing seems cool, but I don’t need all the outs, I’m sure the fx are great but the Octatrack’s aren’t bad either (and certainly has character), and the flexibility of sound shaping and making a track become something entirely different, is what makes the Octatrack the better option for me.

I need a hardware option for complete productions, where original sound quality and input are of solid enough quality to just require more coolness, not basic shaping. I think the Octatrack offers more here, based of course on my experience with one before.

Pioneer are finally kicking lose with real details. My impressions are quite positive. I feel like it’s what I wanted the Octatrack to be. I loved the OT feature set, but unfortunately found it obtuse to use. That’s just a reflection of my own preferences; I otherwise believe it’s a good sampler.

Lots of tracks and outputs, solid looking sequencer implementation and plenty of tools for managing the samples. Additionally, the resampling/stretching options look ace. What I’d like to know more about is the per-track effects.

So far, the only downside is the price. It’s gonna be well expensive in Australia.

1 Like

Oh and… well the analog filter on the master looks like a gimmick to me. Especially given my ambivalence towards Dave Smith’s stuff.

1 Like

No polyphonic tracks is the main disappointed for me on the Toraiz. I’d be tempted to grab one to pair with my OT if it had at least 1 x 4-voice polyphonic track per bank/scene or whatever pioneer have termed stuff. Maybe they could add a function for Dynamic Polyphony? It has 16 voices so being able to sacrifice a few tracks in return for Polyphony now and again would be pretty great little OS feature… I have a feeling that any kind of feature request emails etc will probably just get lost/ignored tho, pioneer a pretty big company…

I could certainly use the multiple outs myself. That plus the velocity pads make me intrigued by the Toraiz. Though, I severely doubt the Pioneer has the sound sculpting capabilities the the OT has. Yet to be seen

However, it does feel like Pioneer decided to take on the OT with this offering. I only hope that Elektron does a little bit of work and make a MKII(I know, I know not gonna happen) and kick Pioneer out of the water.

I’m on hold for the moment, trying to make best use of my SP303 instead (what a lovely thing it does with samples), but if this thing did the following, I’d give it a trial spin:

• Play samples to which there was no end - one sample, minutes and minutes long - like the Octatrack’s static machine - like a full backing track instrument, as it were

• Resampling - after I’ve created my loops of legendary awesome, let me resample the lot for further overall manipulation or transfer to other instruments for further opportunity

• Parameter locks or motion recordning - it’s not an Elektron unique thing, after all. Korg’s stuff does it (and has been since the Electribes), the Circuit does it, lots of other instruments does it. But does the Toraiz?

• An easter egg which unlocks an image of Dave Smith, wearing a German swimming suit (green or purple, I don’t care) while giving us his best barbershop advise for grooming facial hair. I can follow his tutorials by stroking his moustache using the touch screen interface and applying these skills on my own modest attempts at moustasching.

I’ve done some browsing but found nothing that says the Toraiz can or can’t do this. They’ve been especially coy about sampling. Perhaps it can’t sample, they’re only saying it can, crossing their fingers no one will really notice.

3 Likes

monophonic is not the same as mono … !!

Per their sequencer tutorial, it can do parameter locks. I don’t know about the other stuff

1 Like

Saw a video where the guy was doing standard p-lock stuff. Unsure exactly how deep the options are though.

Think I saw someone mention resampling in a video and vaguely remember reading it in manual.

Would guess it can stream long sample/backing track no probs (aimed at DJ crowd…)

Sadly the Dave Smith Easter egg image only made it to prototypes…

1 Like

Ok, thanks. Didn’t pick that up, but that sounds great.

Very cool, thanks. P-locks for me don’t have to be endless like Elektron’s stuff, but I’d expect something along the lines of at least the Circuit (a bunch of parameters of your choice, though a reasonable limit). I think it’ll come down to the way they look at the users for this instrument. P-locks are a very typical composing / structural feature for me, where you want control over complex shifts in the sound without having to resort to laser ninja skills in playing the instrument live. But for the super DJ, that’s one of their traits, so we’ll see.

1 Like

The wait is over, I ordered a second OT for myself instead :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ll wait until you can send chords to an external synth.

I don’t own it.
But maybe someone from our community already have and can review ?

edit:
OK sorry I was not able to find this topic somehow (search doesn;t work properly ? :))

First demo videos are coming through now. Looks serviceable but I will have to get some hands on time with one to try the pads, knobs, slider, fx etc.

Yikes! Only 4 fx. This really seems less MPC and more like a 2000$ 404

3 Likes