Pioneer Toraiz SP-16

Greets, are the Samples playing polyphonic for each track? Say you can use scycling waves for chords?

IIRC there are instructions on the readme file included with the update. You have to put it on the root of a USB drive and it will install from there.

1 Like

Yes unfortunately I have tried thatā€¦All of pioneerā€™s instructions have been correctly followed. I am, using the exact the same USB drive which I used for the last update, this time nothing happens when it is plugged in.

IIRC the last firmware update was also a bit sketchy, at some point the unit just began reading from the root drive.

Very frustrating, really interested in that second FX slot and midi fixesā€¦

Exact same issue as outlined here:

I too can update 1.4 from USB but 1.6 will not go. Somewhat annoyed as the SP-16 is such an amazing sounding sampler but the support from it Pioneer is not good. This thread is from October 15th and no official responseā€¦

I think it took me a couple tries and in the end I had the OS update in the wrong place on the drive. You may want to make sure there are no older updates on the drive as well. It went smoothly once I had it all sorted out.

Beyond that Iā€™m not sure, may want to reach out on the Pioneer forum. There is a Facebook group as well that may offer some insight.

1 Like

Just following up in case anyone else has an issue:

Not really a solution but a workaround. Used a windows PC to format drive. Update loaded onto the toraiz from there no problem.

Should my screen be this dim? I just bought brand new from Amazon

Definitely not

Ok my screen is dead. Amazon is replacing the unit entirely. For the hour it worked this thing is a modern Mpc 3000 sound. Nice touch pioneer. I have my go to drum libraries and they punched out more on this machine. I use the direct outs into my headphone amp for reference. Ah well hopefully I get my replacement this week.

3 Likes

Bit annoying how much more expensive this thing is over here in Europe.

Does it sequence external MIDI gear somewhat nicely?

Itā€™s ā‚¬537,- on Amazon.de at the moment, quite a bargain I think!

I think thatā€™s a scam account to be honest.

1 Like

Yea thatā€™s too good to be true. The lowest Iā€™ve seen Amazon advertise was for 730 US and thatā€™s why Iā€™m in this thread

1 Like

Reading the feedback from customers it seems youā€™re right. Sorry to disappoint!

2 Likes

Yup its that sound !
Sorry to hear about the screen.

1 Like

I use it to sequence my electribe 2 and it does a good job but I am having an issue where the pads are wayyyy less responsive for playing the e2 through midi compared to how awesome and responsive they are for playing samples chromatically. Not sure if user error on my part somewhere or what. Itā€™s almost as if the pad velocity is a lot less responsive for external midi sequencing. Itā€™s definitely possible to get complex phrases going but it takes some finagling of the velocity to get the hits to register as id like them to. It definitely feels slower and sloppier than my octatrack or mpc live does when it comes to playing other gear.

Nonetheless still a pretty damn good sequencer. And it sounds so good that i keep coming back to it regardless of the frustrations I have.

edit if anyone could chime in on how their pads respond to playing other gear via midi Iā€™d be interested to hear if theyā€™re getting nice response from them.

Is there a quick way to clear all my midi events in a pattern? What button combo do I need to press? My replacement arrives Tuesday just getting warmed up

Hitting the pad triggers a sound.

1 Like

@v00d00ppl oh oh my Elektronauts friend could you confirm this, if you confirmed I will try to get it again as itā€™s too good to be true now with this device if there a second FX2 Slot now weā€™re talkingā€¦ :

Ver.1.60 (3 October, 2019 Update)

[NEW]

• āœ“ Now able to use second FX module (FX2) on SAMPLE tracks and THRU tracks.

• āœ“ MIDI messages received from the USB-B terminal can now be sent out via the MIDIOUT/THRU terminal.

• āœ“ MIDI messages received from the MIDI IN terminal can now be sent out via the USB-B terminal.[IMPROVED]

• āœ“ Multiple tracks can now be assigned to the same MIDI channel using the MIDI IN channel settings.

• āœ“ MIDI-related sync and performance settings.

• āœ“ Now able to use an underscore on the software keyboard.

Yes there are two FX slots per track as of version 1.6

1 Like

Is it just me or is Pioneer about as good at manuals as Roland is?

1 Like