Pioneer Toraiz SP-16

Basically it’s done to sustain a Melodical sound so it’s not cutting when the sample is ending… so you can play it longer with pads than expecting sample size.
But you can use it in creative Looping process of something different.

What differs from Kontakt is your loop end point if your file end point on the toraiz

So when you trigger, it’s trigger at the Start point to the end then it cycle from loop point to end point forever. depend of the triggering mode you choose.

not keen on changing the start and end points though bro :slight_smile:

just wanna make the clip start playing from the perfect location, fine adjusting … well … it’s a groove thing

the pulse

the rhythm feel

those things are defined by where the pulse is placed

and the pulse might be nearly correct when exporting an original tech house loop at 128bpm from ableton.

nearly correct.

in fact it is lagging by 3 milliseconds, and that is highlighted when then the hardware unit playing the loop at a live performance is midi synced to a drum machine …

the midi sync is perfect.

but still the pulse is kind of not quite right when mixing between clips.

the Loop Starting point needs to change, but not the Start and End parameters of the audio loop nor the loop length.

Just the place where the loop begins playing, to adjust that, without changing any Start, Length, nor End of the audio loop.

That is to custom sync the pulse of a loop to where it should be in context of the midi clock pulse.

I’ve already emailed Pioneer support about this, asking for them to include this essential loop housework functionality in 1.4 … love the sound of the Toraiz, hope they upgrade this essential pulse-related option

okay

how did you like the timestretching… tried to find examples of how it sounds when timing a loop quicker or slower, although none seem to be on the net.

even if the timestretching ain’t that much to write home about right now, hey, Pioneer have kind of dominated that technology i think - in previous years, anyway along with Roland’s Variphrase I.P. regarding timestretching algorithms.
Or if not dominated, at least pioneered the idea for hardware for quite a long time.

hoping Pioneer will reinvent the wheel and totally bring the kind of timestretching clarity and power i know their coders are capable of, even if the extra cpu load results in a limit of 8 tracks

Seems like Pioneer will bring not FX2 second slot but Performance FX in addition with another Reverb algorithm if we take in consideration Toraiz SP-16 and DJS 1000 are compatible… they probably make the OS hybrid between those two and bring the exact same tools. As the DJS1000 have more tools they probably working to harmonized both OS with this Performance FX offered by the DJS1000.

FX1 (already in Toraiz SP16) :
FX1

FX2 renamed Performance FX :
Performance FX

LOL : SP-16 Survey pay attention you need your serial so if you sold second hand the SP-16 you can’t participate in the survey. Smart Pioneer :stuck_out_tongue:

http://survey.pioneerdj.com/en/sp-16/index.php

Firmware 1.4 is here and it’s so disappointing

Ver.1.40 Update
*After reviewing feedback from TORAIZ SP-16 users, we’ve removed the previously announced Live Sampling function from this firmware update.
Live Sampling may be included in a future update when it can be adapted to better suit users’ needs.
We apologise to any customers who are waiting for this function and appreciate your understanding.

[NEW]
SEQUENCE: Copy & paste.
TRACK: Copy & paste.
TRACK : Swap.
UNDO: Dynamic sequence recordings.
Remove all triggers from a TRACK.

[IMPROVED]
Maximum sample length has been extended to 64 seconds.
Improved the response time when turning pots quickly.
Dave Smith filter settings can be saved per SCENE.
Improved response when pressing the Back button on the Browse screen.

[FIXED]
Playback muted when you muted a TRACK in the same CHOKE group.
The bar displaying the current playback position didn’t appear when previewing a sample on the SAMPLING EDIT screen.
Changed the names of folders to store projects, samples and scene files.

So disappointing :rage: … I always said what’s the point of 32sec or 64sec if modulations destinations are not HUGE… What’s the point of only FX1 if we can’t mixed 16 tracks non destructively … What’s the point of DJS1000 compatibility if both OS doesn’t give the same software options including performance FX.

So much time to wait for Live Sampling (Looper) to disappear… to profit 64 sec max limit… But that make no sense if on the other side we can’t modulate things like long evolving texture so it’s definitively a Sample Player to me, an expansive one ! (Because you can’t edit your recorded material except for start point / end point) so to me it’s not what I called a sampler…

I am jaded
:ant:

3 Likes

I am disappointed as well… I waited a long time on the live looping possibility and now I even doubt it will ever come. Also adding a 2nd effect slot was an frequently asked feature and it was even showed at NAMM or whatever and that isn’t there either… Its a frustrating update. It’s still a darn good sampler but this feels like screwing your costumers really…

1 Like

So agree with you… I will probably wait for the next update and will sell it second hand…
maybe before that ! …
They seem to know nothing about producers but only know what’s a DJ need.

1 Like

Exactly. They proof that they are completely into DJ’s and there new baby, DJS1000 and ignore the producers. I don’t expect a SP-16 as OT2, but they can listen to producers right? I trusted Pioneer with my hard earned money to do good with the SP-16… The collaboration with DSI and all, but they proved that they are all about DJ’s with loads of money in there pockets. I am gonna sell it and grab me a second OT or more eurorack. Sorry I am a bit sad (and angry) really…

1 Like

You right ! problem is to sell it now with this bad update… I guess the second hand price will fall fast to around 600/900 € that’s a shame :frowning:

Edit : Yes FX2 was here at Musikmesse shame they launch the product without it…

2 Likes

Yep as a toraiz owner I feel its a SUPER disappointing update. Give me just a second FX slot per track and Id have been happy. Seriously considering the trade for MPC live now.

3 Likes

So understandable Aiki :wink:

@AikiGhost @YloopZ : what’s disappointed is also when they said DJS1000 and SP-16 will be harmonized and fully compatible … but from the new functionality and performance FX, new reverb algorithm … this update bring nothing from the DJS1000 and that was exactly what am I waiting for (limit pray for that to happen ) so the the fall hurts badly :confused: also Live Sampling was promised so of course I don’t expect this to happen

2 Likes

Dont get me wrong I still like my toraiz and like the feel of finger drumming on it but I’m moving more and more towards live percussion with my nord drum 3p now. The toraiz without live looping is kind of going to get less and less use.

3 Likes

Live looping is really what I was waiting for to use it with my modular. I like the effects on the Toraiz a lot. I could see the Toraiz doing sequencing and live looping my modular and do some finger drumming on the pads… The almost Ideal picture. And NO, I am definatly not gonna buy the DJS, it has those features I describe … I am not a DJ duh…

As an MPC Live user I must admit that for once I’m glad I have no reason to complain.
@AikiGhost if you wanna try the Live give me a shout.

Does the DJS1000 have a different reverb algorithm?

1 Like

Plate Reverb … Yes

And these Performance FX :
Performance FX

1 Like

So the SP-16 is for sure not getting the performance effects? Does the DJS1000 still have all the same effects as the SP-16? I’m curious about that “Pitch” performance effect; if you can play back a sample and live record pitch changes to it with a keyboard, I might just have to buy one.

1 Like