Pigments : Arturia Wavetable Synth

thanks for pointing that out. Had a look at plugin boutique and got it :slight_smile:

yeah, nowadays they are making proper hardware music gear for sure!

1 Like

okay it was easy to get it via pb. And after some test it feels like finally getting a Braids WTx4 chord in the box. I totally love the Braids wavetable chords, but they sound also a little harsh. Pigments is more hifi sounding - which is great.

Thereā€™s a pretty big update to Pigments, new additive engine, new utility engine with textures and noises, new wavetables ā€“ I might have to dive back in! Itā€™s free for existing users and thereā€™s an intro sale on for everyone else. Sonic State has an overview here:

12 Likes

This looks/sounds fantastic! Pigments is the only softsynth I have that tempts me to run it as part of my regular dawless set upā€¦ I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything like it in hardware form.

2 Likes

~fires open Arturia Software Center~

~heavy breathing noises~

2 Likes

Waldorf Iridium maybe.

1 Like

Just a heads up in case anyone already has Pigments and hasnā€™t updated to the new v3ā€¦ itā€™s unbelievably good. I donā€™t think thereā€™s a synth out there, hardware or software, thatā€™s better than Pigmentsā€¦ itā€™s incredible.

2 Likes

Just wait til Urs finally drops Zebra 3. :wink:

3 Likes

This is one of the things I love about Pigments, even before v3ā€¦ I have zero GAS for any other softsynth, it does everything I would ever need and I know Iā€™m only scratching the surface of it.

I value anything I can switch on and find inspiring sounds that make me start writing music within minutes, and Pigments is that for me.
In fact I think thatā€™s my gonna be my new measurement for any gear!

If Zebra does that for you, cool! :+1:

3 Likes

I feel that, for sure. :slight_smile: ā€” On the whole, u-heā€™s stuff has always kept me similarly content.

As for my initial response, I suppose I was more-so having a chuckle at the speed of development cycles. Weā€™re already on Pigments 3, and it feels as if Pigments 1 isnā€™t even 2 years old. Not a dig against either, mind you.

2 Likes

I generally prefer hardware, but Pigments is fun to use, and it sounds great. Awesome that they gave the upgrade to 3 for free.

5 Likes

Looks like I could get Pigments for less than Ā£50. Super temptingā€¦!

2 Likes

Yes, I know, Pigments 2 still feels really new to me tooā€¦ but what theyā€™ve added definitely deserves the ā€˜3ā€™ moniker, the new synth engines theyā€™ve added are significant.

What theyā€™ve done with the extra engine too is fantasticā€¦ itā€™s got 2 noise generators (with a crazy wide selection of ā€˜noisesā€™) and a regular VA oscillatorā€¦ I think itā€™s capability for creating drums has just been multiplied x1000.

Hadnā€™t seen that, I thought I would have to pay something for the update. What a pleasant surprise!

3 Likes

Just chiming in to endorse Pigments. I run a 90% hardware rig aside from some keys from Arturiaā€™s V-Collection. This is the first softsynth to become a go-to part of my setup. Wow. Killer synth. Sounds fantastic: all of the engines are versatile and deep; modulation capabilities are vast. The UI is on point. Cost me $49. Highly recommend.

6 Likes

I just picked it up a few days ago but Iā€™m also pretty surprised with it. This is the only soft synth I have but itā€™s very cool.

1 Like

I can get it for $69 thanks to past purchases of hardware, but what do people use it within? It was brief exposure to DAWs (on OS X) that drove me towards hardware. Can I encase this in something that wonā€™t repel me?

I run it as a VST, but it works as a standalone program too. No DAW required.

3 Likes

Thank you, that is good to know!

1 Like

Iā€™ve been using many soft synths for my sound design work over the last decade, but even though I kept hearing positive comments about Pigments I didnā€™t want to buy it because I couldnā€™t imagine what new it could bring to my tool setā€¦ But then I got a good cross-grade offer and decided to try itā€¦ And wow! :exploding_head::star_struck::heart_eyes: Honestly, I canā€™t believe how deep and elegant synth this is! Itā€™s so intuitive and well designed that I could immediately start working with it! No manual needed. Deep modulation options and great variety of sound sources makes it the ultimate synth/design tool that Iā€™ve been unknowingly dreaming of. Itā€™s quick and fun and powerful. The UI is just brilliant in how it visualizes everything that is going on. I think this is Arturiaā€™s masterpiece. I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a powerful contemporary soft synth that is both incredibly deep and easy to learn!

8 Likes