Pickup machine problem. Is my OT faulty?

Hi, this is the same old sad story about pick up machine clicking sound. Whenever I try to record some loop I end up with this annoying “pop” sound at the end of the sample. I think, I have tried all possible setting combinations (yes I am aware of fin/fout ) without any luck : (
Today I noticed, that even if I’m not feeding any signal into ABCD inputs ( cables unplugged) I STILL get this “pop” glitch!! So this is not waveform problem.
Is it just me, or this official problem? How do you, guys, deal with this?

Have you made use of “fade in/out” during sampling?

IIRC this can be activated on the AUDIO RECORD page 2 via “FIN” and “FOUT”.

Yes, as I wrote I tried this also

1 Like

Sorry missed that …

1 Like

I’ve posted about it elsewhere, but I can easily get pickup machines to click even when there is nothing plugged in to the inputs at all, no input sources are selected and the gate threshold is turned all the way up, so the PUM is only recording digital black and should literally be unable to click.

It’s a bug, some kind of junk data is getting inserted into the last few samples of the buffer.

This clip was recorded as described, no inputs selected, nothing physically plugged in, and the record gate’s threshold turned way up just for good measure. Zoom in in the last couple milliseconds and zoom the waveform vertically (or normalize the file, whichever) and there’s the click.

1 Like

Yeah, same. It’s definitely some kind of weird bug and it drives me crazy. Also, if I switch OT off un turn on again, this click sound goes away for the first or two looping times and then it comes back, what a hell.
I am sure there are some smart people around that could give some advice on this.
Spent chunk of money for this machine just to play beats and record loops, but it is not possible. :angry:

Yeah, for me it won’t click with no input until a click shows up in regular use, but as soon as it has clicked once if I disconnect everything it will click every time, even with no input, until I power cycle.

EDIT: also, sometimes using fade in/out actually makes the clicking worse for me.

It’s funny, pickup machines are what finally sold me on getting an OT but because of the clicking I basically never use them and because there’s so much else I’ve been doing with it I haven’t really missed them.

One thing I’ve noticed is that after a few overdubs (I’d say 4-6) the click usually gets buried and doesn’t show up again for that pickup machine unless I clear the buffer and start from scratch. So at least that’s something.

After spending a day trying different settings and reading forums I have come to conclusion that this is some kind of a bug and there are some faulty OT been produced. I have one. It clicks even if I am not feeding any sound into it. Only thing that helps for a while is reloading the project. Then after 2 or 3 times of recording loops it comes back. Disgusting!

Do you use fade in/out in rec setup 2 ?
I don’t use it but you can try with minimum values, or turn it of.

MOD EDIT: @Octatracker - please reply in your original thread, crossposting is discouraged for this reason

Yep I miss it, but anyway it won’t help. (sezare56)

I have a super workaround : hi hat ! :thup:

yeah, of course I tried fade in/out settings. doesn’t help

hi hat?

Hi hat can hide clics. :smile:
Sample your clics otherwise.

More seriously once I could record several pad layers without clicks. Didn’t try PUM since.
Timestretch off.

Anyway, it’s unbelievable that this major issue isn’t sorted out with proper firmware update and that so many users are “ok” with this.
I mean… hiding clicks behind hi hats or kicks for this “dynamic performance sampler” that costs more than 1k ? Ridiculous. Cheapest of cheaper looper pedals can handle recorded audio without clicks.
Almost a day lost trying to figure out what to do. Becoming hoity-toity af

Did you log a support ticket? What does support say about it?

1 Like

I wish well implemented fades in/out on Ot like on several loopers. I had a Rc 505 with Ot.
Kept the Ot to learn it more. It can do much more than a looper. If you take it as a looper only, it’s not very good, except 8 recorders with rec trigs, several routings, real-time processing…

Did you try recording with Flex playback? (without PUM)

Dang… I was looking to pick up an MK2 later this year and looping was a big part.
I hope a 99.9% bug free Octa is the final outcome of a “new” machine that shares the same OS of a fairly dated (timewise only). It would be a blessing for MK1 owners and an incentive for new users