Pickup machine glitching when switching banks?

This could be a known issue for seasoned Octanauts but this happened to me on stage so I’d like to pinpoint what’s going on. Also my memory is a bit hazy because of how intense performing live is for me, so I may have some details wrong.

In my live set there are two songs during which I use a Pickup machine on Track 2 to layer live vocals. Between these songs there are two songs with no Pickup machines involved.

So what happened was I played through the first song, which is entirely stored in its own Bank. Everything went fine, even my SRC3 samples worked without a hitch.

The next three songs are all in one Bank and I believe I switched Banks without stopping the sequencer.

In the second Bank, the first song is self-contained and the two after it are designed so that each one uses sampled and transformed elements from the previous one. The first transition involves sampling a long delay trail from my Analog Four (inputs A/B). The next pattern uses a different Part in which this sample is then played back on a Flex track, pitched down and effected.

After sampling and then switching patterns and Parts, my previous live vocal loops suddenly started playing really loud and uneffected. This took me completely by surprise, and in the state of confusion I somehow hit REC 1, erasing my delay trail recording. All I could do was to address the audience by joking about the machine having a mind of its own, and then backtracking to sample the delay trail again.

I’m not sure if I hit stop but if I did, then that emptied the buffer because I couldn’t hear it after doing the transition again.

I haven’t done any troubleshooting yet but it could be that the Track 2 buffer is assigned to another track in the affected Part for some reason. Maybe I planned to do something with it but didn’t and just forgot it there.
If that is not the case, then I don’t know what happened and why the Track 2 buffer would be playing in that situation.

Then, once I got to song three, which also has a Pickup machine on Track 2 for looping and layering vocals and synths, I got some kind of error message while recording. It just flashed on the screen and then the recording would stop. I have no idea what the message said because it went away so quickly. I hit Track 2 + Stop to instantly stop the playback, then REC 3 and YES to erase the buffer. After that, everything worked fine all the way to the end.

The recording and length settings for the Pickup machine are identical on both songs but the tempo is different.

So, if I didn’t stop the sequencer during the first problem, that would mean the loop from song one was still in the buffer. But because the tempo had changed, then by the machine’s logic the loop was of wrong length.
If I did stop the sequencer, then the buffer would have been empty. But because the Pickup machine is always on Track 2, maybe something behind the scenes gets carried over unless the buffer is cleared, and this causes a similar discrepancy in the length logic?

Does anyone have any idea of what could have happened and would the best practice be to simply clear any Pickup buffers after each song, just to be safe?

Thanks for any tips and insights!

I’ve definitely experienced some bugs changing parts while using pickup machine, I’m pretty sure there are some older threads here with people describing their bugs too.

I recently played my first OT live set and decided to clear the buffers after each track transition to help avoid any issues. I decided to avoid changing parts manually while a pickup machine is playing and had no problems during the set.

whenever I tried changing parts with something in the buffer I had problems during my rehearsals

1 Like

Bank change implies a part change, because parts are linked to banks

Part changes take effect with trigs on tracks : Pickups don’t have trigs !

You can switch to a Flex from a Pickup, and play the same buffer.

Ex : Pattern 1, Part 1, Track 1 : Overdub with Pickup.
Switch to Pattern 2 Part 2, Track 1 : Play T1 Recording1 with a Flex and mangle it freely without Timestretch!

2 Likes

Does this mean that if I switch to another Pattern tied to another Part, and in that Part the machine on a track is changed from Pickup to Flex assigned to another buffer, but there are no triggers on the track, the Pickup buffer will just keep on playing until the Flex machine is trigged?
Because that would maybe explain it.

1 Like

Possibly.

As you said. :wink:

And this possibility depends on…? The trigs only? Sample assignment? Pickup and/or Flex machine settings?

And is the error I received during the third song related to all this?

I really do appreciate the help but I got the feeling there’s still something unsaid here.

Anyway, the reason WHY I ended up in this mess is that I like to keep things hands-on for the sense of danger. The reason the Pattern I switch to does not have any trigs ready is because I like to lay them down manually instead of just using mutes. :stuck_out_tongue:
Also why I wish the Octatrack had a Pattern reload command but one can only hope.

1 Like

I usually try before say, I can’t atm. I prefer to use Rec + Flex since 9 years…
:sleeping:

1 Like

Well, that’s probably a good principle.

Anyway, like I said, I appreciate the help. The thing about triggers in relation to Parts is something I should keep in mind.

1 Like