Picking the correct cables

Hi all,

Sorry for the daft question but needs must, or my wife is for leaving with all the cables I have bought.

I recently purchased a Digitakt and I bought Twin Mono Jack to Stereo Jack Cable to go from the Digitakt but only works when I have the right or left plugged into the box, It’s going to my line in on my Presonus 1823c. It playing no bother like that, It’s when it comings to panning, I cannot pan hard to 1 side
All my other synths work ok. Could someone please point me to the right cable please?
Again, sorry for such a daft question!!!

Thanks in advance
Jimmy

I don’t think the inputs on your Presonus (1824?) are stereo. They are mono inputs. You need a twin 1/4" TS to twin 1/4" TS cable and you need to use two inputs/channels on the interface.

Cables are damn confusing, that’s for sure.

3 Likes

Thanks, I only have 8 line inputs, would twin 1/4TS to single 1/4TS work?

Thanks again

Possible solution would be getting some Roland gold cables mono (but any will work), sending that to 2 inputs on a small mix then to interface. The one you have is more suited for recording guitars, vocals or full drum sets tracked element by element.

1 Like

Hi, does this help? Just look for Digitakt:

2 Likes

You can use a single 1/4inch TS cable from DT left or right output, into a single input 1/4inch input of your presonus. Only everything will be mono, no panning your drum tracks on your DT and also the internal DT stereo reverb will be mono. Don’t use pingpong delay on the DT in that case. In that case there’s no need to go Twin TS to singel TS. Just use a single TS cable. (Or if twin TS to single TRS is the only thing you have: plug it in and see if it works. It’ll be mono if it does)

Otherwise, use a twin TS to twin TS (or two single TS aka instrument cables). And pan the two presonus channels hard left and hard right.

Added: If I googled correct, does the presonus have Line Inputs on the back that say TRS/balanced? Digitakt has balanced outputs (aka TRS), so it’s also fine (slightly preferable even, although opinions vary about how important the difference is) to use Twin TRS to Twin TRS cables (or two TRS to TRS cables). All 1/4inch aka 6.35mm jacks.

2 Likes

Pick one ts to ts or one trs to trs cable for each channel to route to presonus so left DT to Presonus eg 1 and right to 2. Or 3/4 or 5/6 and (as mentioned above) pan hard left and right on the Presonus settings or in DAW. If you ran out of channels due to the buying of the Digitakt you can free up channels on the Presonus by unplugging a stereo or 2 mono synths and route them thru the DT inputs.

In the DT masterpage you can mix the incoming synths and apply some fx as a bonus on them.
If you, at one point, need to have multichannel recording you can also unplug the DT hardwired and use overbridge. So DT audio will pass digital to computer and analog out thru presonus for monitoring.

2 Likes

Cheers for the reply mate, yeah the presonus does have balanced on the back

1 Like

Cheers for the reply mate, yeah the presonus does have balanced on the back. I’ve just plugged in in 2 lines and panned hard right and left on the presonus internal mixer and it works a treat

Thanks again

1 Like

1824c yeah. It is a great interface. The XLR inputs on the back are combo, not mic only. Very versatile.

1 Like

Thanks all, sort now, used twin trs into 2 lines and in universal control, presonus mixer, I have managed to turn 2 channels into 1 and all panning, ping pong extra is working a treat

2 Likes

:ok_hand:

1 Like

…of course one of the other options could have been USB? :upside_down_face: