Pick up machine loop recording to the songs bpm?

Hey. Page 133 of the manual- “once a loop has been recorded, note how the BPM of the octatrack will change to the BPM of the recorded loop” I don’t see anything about how not to have that happen. I put a bunch of work into a song and am playing it live and I just want to put a pickup machine on a track and loop to the bpm of the song and not have the song change bpm to my performance. How do I do it?
Thanks

I too am curious about that. Off the top of my head, I would try recording an empty loop and try to make it the length of the melody and the right BPM of your track (assuming you have a pre-composed track). Then you have the freedom to do overdubs without messing with your tempo (assuming the OT is the master clock).
Not ideal, but it seems like it could be a work-around.

regular Flex machines are for what you would like to do here :slight_smile:
if you would like the Flex machines to change the bpm tempo of the OT after they detect what time you played in the recording they just made, use the Pickup machines

1 Like

Ya…but you can’t overdub a flex. Layering would have to be done by multiple flex’s. If a Flex could be the master and the loops could slave to that, that would be great.

Flex and Pickup machines would be great to have at a club when trying to score with a member of the fairer sex.

But anyway, i digress.

Hmm … interesting.

I guess it is just how the Pickup machines work or something.

how about set a Track Recorder to resample Master and rework things that way?

1 Like

You can overdub with flex.

2 Likes

In Recording Setup 2, choose PLEN for QREC and QPL.

4 Likes

I’m a noob…thanks for setting me straight.

3 Likes

If you use qrec and qpl set to plen and start the sequencer first before recording, you can capture perfect pattern length loops that match and therefore don’t change the sequencer bpm… It’s possible as well to get longer loops using rlen max and one2 mode…
Edit: I missed that @sezare56 already said this…

7 Likes

To add just a bit to what @sezare56 and @Open_Mike have said: when I want to grab a perfect loop with a PM and the sequencer is running, I almost always make sure I have a specific PLEN set (as well as QREC and QPL). I think it can do it with RLEN set to “MAX” but it’s been more prone to change tempo on me if I don’t get my punch back in right. This is all with PMs, so easy overdubbing (if OT is master) and monitoring. I don’t use flex sampling near as much, I imagine the behavior to be similar?

1 Like

If you use one2, rlen max, and qrec and qpl at 64, you can grab 64, 128, 256, 512, and 1024 step loops that don’t change the bpm as long as you press c/d in the last 64 steps of the length you want… It’s been a minute but I think it might change tempo if you land in-between the multiples of pattern length, like 192 or 320 and such…
I often use qrec and qpl at 128 for 128, 256, 512… 128 is then my shortest loop and I just have to press c/d in the last 128 steps of the length I want…

3 Likes

O.K. Thanks folks. Loads of trouble. However Sezare56 told me to send transport as well as clock to my looper pedal and now magically it’s working. Think I’ll just loop with the pedal i know how to use.

2 Likes

Ok, did my homework :grin:

2 Likes