Piano patch

hello guys. im having lots of trouble making piano sounds with the digitone. does anyone have any starting points or patch notes to make piano sounds? im not looking for anything like a grand piano. i just want to make a sound that doesnt feel like a “bell” if you get what i mean. thank you in advance. im fairly new to fm synth but i really enjoy the way the digitone sounds except when im trying to make a piano.

1 Like

Are there any e. piano presets you can reverse engineer?

This guy gets a decent sound by about five minutes

3 Likes

Hello everyone,
is there any way to load the sound of a classical piano (grand piano) into Digitone synth?
thank you for your advice :wink:

No. It’s a synthesizer, not a sampler.

3 Likes

You’d want a Digi takt for that :wink:

The Digitone does not include sampling, it is a FM based synth.

I made something like a piano. My advice would be to start with the amp envelope. A modified pluck envelope would be a good place to start. If you don’t have that right, you’re never going to get there.

The sound on sound synth secrets series goes into some depth on doing it on an analog synth, and FM gives you more tools to work with. The tone scaling options will help as well because the upper keys sound a lot different from the lower ones on a piano.

4 Likes

I too love me some e piano sounds. This video helped me understand a bit better, note the dx7 has more carrier waves but you get an idea of the parts of an e piano sound.

3 Likes

Any sound examples very welcome, especially for a nice DX7-style E. piano…

hey man, thank you for the video tutorial. that video actually helped me alot with what i am trying to do. it definitely opened quite a few doors for me. thanks!

3 Likes

waiting for your patch buddy :kissing_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

The Haunted Hearts sound pack has some great electric piano-like sounds!

5 Likes

Had an evening for myself, decided to make a patch for basic ‘piano’ training… just sharing😊

Alg 2, c=0.50, a=0.75, b=0.75/0.5, harm=1.89, no detune, feedback, mix neatly in the middle

C no offset, a -.500, b1 +0.005, b2 +0.004

A: atk 0, dec 40, end 60, level 26
B: atk 0, dec 35, end 0, level 40

Phasereset off

Filter 4pole, freq 27, res 28, env 24
Atk 0, dec 79, end 44, release 64

Amp atk 8, dec 32, sus 96, rel 24

Chorus 35 (default settings) master overdrive 8

Key scaling a: 127, b1: 62, b2: 77, octave +1

Velocity mod: synlvab 21, syndeca 57, syndecb 54, filtfreq 35

Modwheel (on my midikeyboard the sustain pedal acts here), amprel 67, filtrel 32

For funsies: aftertouch mod synb1of 127

There are tons of tweaks to be had, according to taste

edit: cheesy example

25 Likes

Hi luuk,
I like your patch. It’s best one I’ve seen.
I was just trying to follow your recipe, but something is off.
Up to filter settings, I think everything is clear, but I’m a bit confused about the filter options. Do you mind clarifying which filter type you are using. Is that the LP4 with freq. 27?

Would appreciate your help.

Thanks !! It is the low pass 4pole… let me know if you get the desired result, otherwise i could upload a sysex (never done that before but shouldn’t be too difficult)

1 Like

I was able to follow that to the correct sound, just took a little head scratching to decipher a few of the abbreviations. Thanks for the roadmap, sounds great!

1 Like

I have found a preset I really like called MINIGRAND FP which is patch 181 in the DN Keys presets.

I used it solely on this quickly thrown together track, the looping chord is the preset unedited (maybe slight detuning of a couple operators) and the rest have been altered in some small way.

5 Likes

Thanks. I went through the settings again. I had the B1/B2 flipped. I was also skipping the Velocity Modulation settings since I was just testing on the Digitone. But after applying all settings and using an external keyboard, I think it sounds close to your recording.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. Does the Digitone Keys have the exact same engine as the Digitone? In other words, can Digitone Keys patches be manually replicated on Digitone? If so, it would have been nice if they made those available for Digitone as well.

Yes and yes.

They are available for free download from the elektron.se website. Go through the process to create an account and register your Digitone, then check the “My Sound Packs” page in your account and download the “Digitone / Digitone Keys Factory Sounds” The “readme.txt” file in the unzipped download explains which banks shipped with which units.

4 Likes

Thank you for the instructions! Didn’t know that. I’m new :slight_smile:

2 Likes