Photo of Elektron gear from Chemical Brothers' live setup

Just saw this post from someone on Twitter (I think he is their keyboard technician? I can’t remember and the bio doesn’t say!). Kinda fun to see how they have them labelled up, I didn’t know they (used to, at least) use Elektron gear!

17 Likes

They still do:

2 Likes

Interesting reading material here:

“ These are played live and, in the case of the Elektron Monomachine SFX60+, also triggered by MIDI in the Logic arrangement.”

“ We do use some program-change messages. We’ve got an Elektron Machinedrum that’s got some loops in it that aren’t a bar long, so that needs to be program-changed specifically at a certain point, so the loop comes in at the right time. The synthesis in those Elektron units is so bonkers, you can make a drum noise end up sounding like a piece of metal or something. ”

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/matt-cox-midi-tech-chemical-brothers

8 Likes

I’m sortof intrigued that they run both Logic and Ableton at the same time in a live context. I wonder what the thinking behind that is. I’m guessing these days that’s possible with Link.

interesting to see an SFX-6 too. so they run two MD’s and two MnM’s and the SFX-6? is some of that backup?

A beautiful specimens of MachineDrum and MnM spotted on the wild, in its natural habitat:

4 Likes

My guess would be ReWire, in which case Live would run like a plugin inside Logic.

1 Like