Phono Preamps & Pioneer Mixers

Hi y’all,

Question somewhat related to Elektron products - I am currently using my OT as a DJ mixer/processor for two turntables - specifically technics 1200mk2, which require phono preamps to gain stage before actually running it into the OT. And I’ve got a gig tomorrow at this bar where I can’t use my OT, and instead have to rely on their Pioneer DJM 400 mixer. I’ve heard the DJM 400’s noise suppression sucks when you jack channel gains, and that their onboard FXs suck even more.

DO any of you have experience with the DJM 400?
Have you ever ran a phono preamp’d signal from turntables into the mixer? Does it sound better?
Have you ever used an external FX unit and simply used the mixer for basic channel transitioning and EQ?

If I could just use my OT, then this wouldn’t be a problem. But I can’t, so I’m here asking. Any input regarding similar setups or workarounds would be appreciated!

-m

bump

I think yer overthinking this.
The Pioneer mixer will be fine - they wouldn’t keep making and selling them if they were unusable.
Just use it as a regular mixer.

You can run external fx but it really depends what you are trying to do. I’m not sure if it has a send, if it does, you can use that (I personally don’t like the way pioneer mixers handle sends), or just slap the fx on the master. However, seeing as how this isn’t your setup and it sounds like you have to use theirs, I would be hesitant to start hooking up your own stuff. Maybe work on making the mix work without fx so then you can just use them when you have them available.

To your other question, does running external preamps ‘sound better’…this could likely be the case, but does it matter in a club using a djm400? Probably not. That’d be a lot of extra wires and hassle for very minimal gain.

1 Like