Phantom Buzz/Tone on MT 7 Pad - Rytm Mk1

this has been happening since i can remember, but it seems like 4% of every strikes on this pad, no matter which sounds or machines are loaded to it, produce a separate higher pitched tonal sound

i have captured it sort of here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C5jVghhun2j/

any idea what this is?!

bump

all I can think about it some velocity mod, lfo or aftertouch mod, something like that, otherwise no idea… these pads are also choke tracks so it might be an artifact of a voice cutting the other voice, depending on velocity/note length etc, or just an artifact of a trig being cut off too fast/slow.
if it’s not occurring on other pads or other choke tracks then it’s weird, probably possessed, like many other rytms, mine included :ghost:

1 Like

this is what i always thought. not a huge deal but if it showed up in a one take recording, id probably be angry about it. probably wouldnt notice very much though. hasnt been a real problem yet

it does seem like a third sound between the two choked pads. as if the vco in the machine is being triggered with initialized settings, like the basic dvco patch or something maybe

huh, that’s interesting, is it always the same sound? perhaps somehow the pads trigger another track?
and does it happen if you only use samples?

what I’d do is load a noise on every other track and see if that occurring sound changes character, if it does then it might be an issue that somehow other track gets triggered…

and if it doesn’t then it’s something in these two choke tracks, most likely an artifact of envelopes cutting each other…

yeah, its always that same sort of higher pitched stock dvco (i think) sound

no samples on the tracks, i very rarely use samples on the rytm at all

its been doing this for as long as i can remember. several years

it is just those two tracks in that choke group. the envelope thing makes sense yeah. it does really sound like an artifact of one engine being cutoff somehow and producing a third tone. as if it were hard synced or something

the sound indeed is weird but I kinda like it :smiley:
the mention of DVCO makes me think about triggering other tracks because DVCO only available on tracks 1-4 and not on the 7-8, maybe it triggers the CB track, CB sound can also do something similar in the square wave territory…

I’d check if same thing happens with samples too, you should have the factory samples so just to see if it’s the same I’d turn off the synths voices and put samples with the same filters/amp envelopes.