Petition to stop Akai from forcing "check in" for plugins

I hope this is okay to post as a separate topic (I mentioned this in the Akai MPC Live thread).
I created this petition after finding out (and being quite pissed off) that Akai has recently implemented a policy of forcing users to check in via the internet with their servers in order to use the plugins we purchased.

I have confirmed this all with their support team.

Beyond the issues this creates for live musicians, it is a fundamental assault on our consumer rights.
I almost never turn on the wifi of my MPC Live 2 for a host of reasons so I was confused when my purchased plugins were deactivated.
Please sign this petition if you would like to express your displeasure with Akai’s decision:

In case anyone thinks this is not that important, please consider the following:

• Akai’s servers have gone done in the past, causing users to have to wait for them to return to use their plugins (see MPC forums)
  • Live performers have and will suffer when they go to play a show only to discover their tracks significantly altered due to plugins not working
  • Akai will one day stop supporting these products… what happens then?
  • This is a hardware device. Any extra, paid content should integrate and work as long as the hardware does
  • No where was this policy mentioned.
31 Likes

This is nazi shit, good for you for doing something about it. Hope it works out in some way which is positive.

Akai should recognize your human rights and not just think of their own interests.

I think you should clarify whether Akai will recognize whether petition signers must own Akai products to be counted or whether this is an ethics based petition in which case people signing it will be recognized for their dissent alone.

6 Likes

Yeah it’s bollocks, it is exactly why I won’t buy any plugins (or SAAS or any other cloud shit)

7 Likes

Blockquote
I think you should clarify whether Akai will recognize whether petition signers must own Akai products to be counted or whether this is an ethics based petition in which case people signing it will be recognized for their dissent alone.
Blockquote

I’m not sure what you mean. I don’t know what Akai will do in response our if it matters to them whether signees own or don’t. But I’m certainly open to changes that will improve the effect of the petition.

I sold mine, not because of this but I’m glad I did before I found out. This is ridiculous! Feel bad for those that paid and hope they get it sorted.

Signed by the way!

1 Like

Anyone can start a petition regarding anything, but in regards to Akai’s response it’s not as if they’re polluting, selling people’s personal data, or engaging in unethical labor practices. Your pretense that this is not mentioned anywhere and is inconvenient is negated anytime you glaze over something that says “subject to change without notice” which most End License User Agreements have written into the legalese, so if the ELEU has any kind of indication that you are paying for a service which you do not technically own and that the terms are subject to change, they’re strongarming you into agreeing to those terms. That doesn’t mean it’s correct or a good thing for them to do, it just means they have lawyers writing their fine print.

So if you approach them with a petition that says people are unhappy, they aren’t obligated to do anything about it. If you can, however, explore allll the fine print and find a loophole which you can attach your petition to and give it more direction, then you have a better chance of getting something done. Also, if you can do something to show that what they are doing is unethical more than just inconvenient, you may be able to get something done. Also from Akai’s perspective, they’re more likely to recognize a boycott from paying customers than they are a petition of random people, because as I said unfortunately they aren’t obligated to care about people’s feelings. However, if you can prove they are doing something which is in violation of something that, I don’t know, maybe Amnesty international or some other human rights organization would consider a violation, then you can approach it from an angle which they may consider their PR to be at risk and do something.

I doubt Amnesty specifically recognizes plug-ins as a source of discontent in their efforts to right the wrongs of the world, but if you view Akai as not a plug in provider but a company doing business in the world, you need a more solid foundation for the protestation than “I don’t like it”. I’m not criticizing what you’re doing, I’m just trying to give you something along the lines of what it will take to get something done. I already told you, as soon as I read it I didn’t like what they’re doing.

So if you intend to approach it from “this will cost you money because we, the users, won’t stand for it” then you need people who own and pay for akai products and subs.

If you intend to take the stance that “What your company is doing is unethical and here are the facts to back it up, and here are people that agree this is unethical business practice” that is a different kind of petition and it then makes them question whether the threat to their PR is big enough to change it.

I guarantee though, without a shift in one direction or the other, you’ll be wasting any signatures you get because generally only people who feel very strongly will sign the same or similar petition more than once, you just have to make it count while you have momentum. Does that make sense?

1 Like

The way I see it, this concerns future customers too; so, it’s a fair play, either way.

Cheers!

1 Like

True but it’s better than doing nothing!

1 Like

Absolutely, but not necessarily more effective. What is more effective is giving it direction to accompany the momentum, that’s all I’m saying.

1 Like

This is like SaaS satire. “MPC Live” but you need wifi at the venue to unlock your plug-ins?

1 Like

You make a good point, the company calls their products “professional” thus recognizing their intended user group is professionals, it’s in the name of the product. To assume a professional using professional products will always have internet access is a bit of a stretch even for a multinational corporation. It just shows the distance between their perception of professional, and what a professional musician can rightfully be defined as.

As one of those professional musicians, let me tell you what…

I don’t care whether I have access to WIFI at the venue or not. If I have a sound check or stage call, I don’t have time to “reactivate” my instrument.

Never mind how that could make me look ill-prepared in front of my client.

Cheers!

2 Likes

"Ladies and gentlemen, we’ll be underway in just a moment, um…

Anyone know the WIFI password?" :sweat_smile:

Cheers!

12 Likes

I feel bad for engineers and general business professionals who are making SAAS software for musicians. Not because I think it’s a dumb idea (although I do) but because you can make epic amounts of money with far less effort by making and selling SAAS software to businesses.

Go get a job at Salesforce and play with music on evenings and weekends.

A counterpoint to all of the above (including my own comments) is that I find that I actually like Roland Cloud. It is much easier to work with than the Jupiter Xm and sounds just as good. I don’t trust that Akai will exist in substantially the same form in ten years, but I do trust that Roland will. $100-$200 per year is a fine price to pay for That Roland Sound.

I’ve been close to buying an MPC a few times, but I have yet to hear a compelling case for their soft-synths.

3 Likes

All I know is I’m glad I bought the suite of plug-ins when Akai fucked up on Black Friday and had everything double-discounted or some shit. Anyway, I signed the petition. Hopefully something comes of it. Thanks @Lieder for taking the reins on this…

4 Likes

I was an early-adopter of Roland Cloud. I needed some soft-synths and $20/month seemed reasonable. They sound great and I’ve earned several “lifetime keys” for whatever that’s worth in the world of SAAS. There are certainly some quirks and pains-in-the-ass, but all things considered, I get far more value than headache. If that metric ever reverses, I’ll just cancel it.

1 Like

So do you have to activate the plugins via WiFi every time you power cycle?

That all makes sense, thank you for clarifying.
However, what you detail seems like it would take a significant amount of effort and therefore time. Unfortunately, I do not have that time. Right now I’m lucky to get an hour a day with my beloved Elektron, Akai and other instruments.
I’m not sure the outcome of the current state of the petition but I’m hopeful. And I think leaving it quasi-ambiguous will increase the odds of bringing it to Akai’s attention.
It’s also possible this one small “movement” could snowball and become part of a bigger Consumer Rights movement… at least I hope.
That is a fight I will join but doubt I could lead.

1 Like

Just do what you can live with or have time for, up to and including the use of the service “as is” - along with the constraints placed upon you by the company providing that service. I’m not the person you need to convince, it’s yourself. I don’t own or use any of these products so despite how I feel about these kind of business practices, the effort great or small has no bearing on my perception of reality, the outcome of your efforts have no effect on me but I wish you luck in your optimism and ambiguity.

Wait…
You “buy” a plugin and then you have to verify with an internet server?

This is the new world… You own nothing, but you can earn the right to use it?
Yeah…
Better read the disclaimers.

1 Like