Petition: Implement Scenes for midi tracks

I sent this off to HQ today. (Niceties deleted)

1. Save all scene assignable parameter changes, which have occurred since the part was last saved, to a scene. Starting with a just saved part; I often find myself tweaking away, and then wishing I could create a scene with the tweaks. Button combo, something like, [Scene A] + [trig 1] + [Part], would save all the changes to parameters that are scene assignable to scene 1.

2. Offer several static LFO waveforms. Deigning one with the designer costs time and a slot that would be better used for something a bit more interesting. There are many places when using the OT where a constant high-state or a constant low-state LFO waveform is required. Iā€™d like to see 3 different high-state and 3 different low-state LFOs offered as standard waveforms. A high and low at 100%, 10 or 20 percent, and one notch above/below zero for fine-tuning of parameters.

3. Lot of folks would like to see midi scenes come to life. I have thought of two workarounds that might make it feasible.

a. This first idea is more convoluted to the user, but itā€™s implementation should be easier to program. Offer midi LFO depth as a destination from the audio track LFO. It would work like this: on audio track 1, one of the LFO destination choices would be midi track 1, LFO 1 depth (midi track 1, LFO 2 and 3 depth could be offered as destinations as well). With the use of static LFOs, normal scene behavior could be assigned to 3 midi parameters per track. This limitation, with the addition to sacrificing a midi LFO, should keep the midi stream to an acceptable level.

b. Offer midi track LFO depth as a scene assignable parameter. Similar to above, but one step easier to the user. Probably, more laborious to program.

+1

A little sidenote to thatā€¦ on my still_to_try listā€¦
to my knowledge the crossfader sends out CC# 78.
Always wondered what would happen if i map the joystick control of the monomachine to the ot_fader_cc ā€¦ might not work
might sound horribleā€¦ orā€¦

never tried it thoughā€¦ so many things on my to try listā€¦

and on topicā€¦
yeahā€¦ be fun if i could use the fader for the midi-stuff.
I understand their worriesā€¦ butā€¦ in this case i would say
i dont care :slight_smile: it still a nice feature if they can add it.

+1

+1

One day I will upload a video just to mess with your headsā€¦ :alien:

A little sidenote to thatā€¦ on my still_to_try listā€¦
to my knowledge the crossfader sends out CC# 78.
Always wondered what would happen if i map the joystick control of the monomachine to the ot_fader_cc ā€¦ might not work
might sound horribleā€¦ orā€¦

never tried it thoughā€¦ so many things on my to try listā€¦

and on topicā€¦
yeahā€¦ be fun if i could use the fader for the midi-stuff.
I understand their worriesā€¦ butā€¦ in this case i would say
i dont care :slight_smile: it still a nice feature if they can add it.[/quote]
Wouldnā€™t you need another device to convert the CC#s? I thought about this as well but I donā€™t want to add one more device.

I thought you could alter the CCā€™s which the monomachine uses as joystick CC`sā€¦

+1

+1 the scene to lfo depth in midi mode sounds feasible and would keep the midi stream down

Iā€™d like to see this, even if just so you could mute MIDI channels in a scene! This would make a huge difference, and if the OT was also handling the audio from the synths, thereā€™s a lot you can do with scenes to mangle the audio. You could still achieve big mix changes between the scenes.

Although I realise after thinking it through, using the crossfader I donā€™t know howā€™d you fade into a MIDI mute:) Maybe not feasible after all?

ā€¦unless itā€™s a stream of MIDI volume data. Back in choking territory? Donā€™t know enough about under-the-hood stuff.

+1

I am almost certain that this will be implemented in time. It would be magical and Elektron make magical musical devices. That is unless the next black box would be undermined by such a great moveā€¦

Itā€™s quite possible that doing morphs will cause midi congestion.
Fot example, if you have 8 midi tracks and lock all the 10 ccā€™s you have 80 ccā€™s simultaneously generated per ā€™ tickā€™ the crossfader moves.
Iā€™m assuming the crossfader has a resolution of 127 steps here. so if you flick the crossfader from left to right in a quarter of a second you will generate

8 tracks * 10 ccā€™s * 127 possible values *4 (4 qrtr seconds = 1 second)

this will be 40640 messages per second.
Add up youā€™re sending note data as well for 8 tracks.

I think youā€™ll experience timing problems and other strange behaviour on the machines that are sequenced by the octa.

So, what would you do? Implement it with a warning not to use it too extensive, causing a lot of discussion what should and shouldnt be possible.
Iā€™d love to see this but I think it will cause a mess midi-wise.

:slight_smile:

.R

1 Like

Yes

Id like to beable to lock the A4s performance parameters with the OTā€™s scenes

Itā€™s quite possible that doing morphs will cause midi congestion.
Fot example, if you have 8 midi tracks and lock all the 10 ccā€™s you have 80 ccā€™s simultaneously generated per ā€™ tickā€™ the crossfader moves.
Iā€™m assuming the crossfader has a resolution of 127 steps here. so if you flick the crossfader from left to right in a quarter of a second you will generate

8 tracks * 10 ccā€™s * 127 possible values *4 (4 qrtr seconds = 1 second)

this will be 40640 messages per second.
Add up youā€™re sending note data as well for 8 tracks.

I think youā€™ll experience timing problems and other strange behaviour on the machines that are sequenced by the octa.

So, what would you do? Implement it with a warning not to use it too extensive, causing a lot of discussion what should and shouldnt be possible.
Iā€™d love to see this but I think it will cause a mess midi-wise.

:slight_smile:

.R
[/quote]
implement it without the fader morphā€¦yeah, limited if you compared with the audio scenes but having static midi scenes would be great anyway

1 Like

Maybe tomorrow nightā€¦ got a lot of other shite on a the moment.

+1