Perf pads controlling A4

Why not simply read the list in the manual?

slow as molasses? You’re pushing/holding the knob down while turning, right?

not sure if pressure dest refers to performance pads or just general aftertouch… should be easy enough to test tho!

This seemed like an interesting concept, so I experimented a bit. I’m probably missing something, but I couldn’t get it to work. The performance pads do send out CCs, but they’re fixed as far as I can tell. I used a midi monitor to see what they were putting out, and there seemed to be at least a couple of pads who’s CCs match what the A4 manual states as the midi spec for controlling performance parameters…

But it didn’t work. I had my channels assigned correct. Dunno. Ran out of time, will try again…

The issue is that I need 3 arms to do what I want to do without setting it up this way. Imagine this. I am using the performance pad for breakdowns, as I slowly press it down, bass is getting filtered out, delay and reverb is increasing. On my A4, I’d like the same to happen. When the drop happens, I don’t want a gradual fade at all, I want it to be instant. I can do that by letting go of the pressure pad. But unless I hold function down, I can’t do it instantly with the performance knob, regardless of if I press it down or not. Also, if both hands are tied up, then I can’t change scenes, mute tracks, or any of that other stuff that, if you hold the pad down and switch to another section, the pressure pad latches at the last setting so you can continue to tinker. Then press down and switch back and it picks up where you left off. Can’t do any of that if my other hand is on the A4.

Yea, I noticed you can switch to the same channels, but the two actually use different CC values. The RYTM uses CC 35 for Performance 1, whereas the A4 Performance A uses CC 3. If there was a way to edit what CC channels the devices are listening on, that would be the ideal solution.

AHHHHH I FIGURED IT OUT!

If you set the PARAM OUTPUT to NRPN in the Midi Port Config then it works!!!

nice! I’ll be giving this a whirl.

nice! I’ll be giving this a whirl. [/quote]
Of course the midi channels have to be the same but you probably have that setup already :slight_smile: I just set my A4 to 15 since that’s the default for the pressure out on the RYTM.

this is really cool and gives alot of synergy for the AR-A4 combo! I’ve been contemplating about getting an A4 for over a year now and things such as this make it even more tempting.

Wow. Does this work with Overbridge mode on, or you have to disable it?

Works with Overbridge mode on yeh :smiley:

It’s worth every penny dude. Not only does it have vast capabilities as an analog synth, it’s made epic with plocks and sound locks (locking patch changes to trigs)

I don’t have a AR but I do a similar thing with a QuNeo pads. So much easier pressing a pad than turning the knobs for certain parameters.

Interesting, I own a QuNeo and underuse it…
Should give it a try !

Interesting, I own a QuNeo and underuse it…
Should give it a try !
[/quote]

Get out the A4 Midi chart from the manual and start mapping.

You can do so much with the Quneo. You can set it up as a XY pad controller controlling 2 params or you can have each corner of the pad send seperate CC# and control 4 different parameters on one pad. And you also have 4 banks. It’s possible to map most used A4’s params on one preset.

If you play keys as part of your live performance, pressing a pad is much easier than turning the encoder.

Interesting. Do you mean using the whole grid as a XY pad controller or is there something I overlooked and you can in fact use each pad as an individual XY surface ?

And how can you get a persistent MIDI signal (like : performance knob A sticks to 57, then I press the pad and now it sticks to 68)
Maybe there was some kind of QuNeo update lately, I’ll check this !

I only have a qunexus, but in that one there is a setting “latched midi CC” that can be used for exactly this. I’d wager that since KMI is very thorrough in these matters, a similar option also exists for the quneo?

GREAT ! Now I want the RYTM even more :disappointed: :joy:

Interesting. Do you mean using the whole grid as a XY pad controller or is there something I overlooked and you can in fact use each pad as an individual XY surface ?

And how can you get a persistent MIDI signal (like : performance knob A sticks to 57, then I press the pad and now it sticks to 68)
Maybe there was some kind of QuNeo update lately, I’ll check this ![/quote]

Both the pads and the sliders can be set so it ‘latches’ the last value or return to whatever value you want when you let go of the pads/slider.

From memory, I think the value is “-1” for latched mode for the sliders. For pads , you need to set it to toggle mode and continuous value.

Check out the QuNeo manual. It’s mentioned on the part using the editor.

Cool, thanks guys !
I’ll definitely check this !