Percussa mSSP (Eurorack, Kickstarter)

Percussa’s Eurorack modular in a module :slight_smile:

a smaller cheaper version of their SSP,
the SSP is $2k :dizzy_face: this is a more modest $550 (rrp $799)
same power/cpu, but a smaller screen (but still good looking) and a few less cv inputs but this still has 8 in/4 out.

looks very tasty to me, cheaper, less HP… but still powerful.

oh, and they have just announced there will be an editor to create patches which was a bit of the missing link.

thoughts, anyone played with its bigger brother?

I saw the SSP and it looked really nice, but was way to expensive and too big for my rack.

3 Likes

Damn! The original was far too big, but this one looks a bit more interesting. Nice price too! Damn. Thanks for the heads up!

2 Likes

I have no use for this but that is a beautiful module. Maybe the nicest eurorack I’ve seen. Big up to the designers.

1 Like

Specs are outrageous
Like the software editor too
Looks pretty good value

2 Likes

i backed it. great value i think. i hope it gets funded. the editor will be a big deal i think. w/the physical modeling membrane and the power of the processor i’m imagining a nice 4 voice drum synth with embedded modulation and lot’s of processing. all kinds of potential in this module. the smaller size and the editor make it really attractive. i’m already making presets in my brain!

edit: it would be pretty great to build a small system just around this module. w/the kickstarter for $549 it’s aggressively priced against every other eurorack sampler but it’s so much more. it goes up to $799 when it becomes a retail product… if it gets funded.

1 Like

Curious, how do kickstarters work?
Do you pay upfront when you back something, or only if it reaches its goal? At what stage do they take your money?

You don’t get charged until the deadline and only if the goal is reached.

4 Likes

a couple more demo videos have been released for the mSSP

OB 4 voice

and a nice granular demo…

more details in the KS update

not quite sure why its not getting more backers, as its very powerful for a reasonable price, perhaps its just not promoted enough?
will be a shame if it doesn’t make the target as the alternatives are quite a bit more expensive, and I don’t think as flexible for a variety of reasons.

btw: the all important addition of the mac/windows editor with prototype images are shown on this KS update

1 Like

i’m surprised it’s not getting more backers as well. the granular functions alone warrant the price. not to mention the editor. i backed it. i hope it gets funded. i’d like to do some percussive stuff w/embedded modulators so every time a voice is triggered it’s slightly different or very different.

the various demos of the SSP and the mSSP both show that it’s quality processing/synthesis even if the patches aren’t that interesting.

it’s full of potential and is priced aggressively in the kickstarter. all the other sampler/granular type modules are either more expensive or have half the features.

it doesn’t seem like it’d be too difficult to make some cool stuff for it.

1 Like

Looks like 46k AUD of 166k AUD so far for backing with only 9 days to go.
That seems like a pretty huge number they are wanting to reach.
The market just simply may not be big enough, and they have over estimated demand :thinking:
I guess that’s the beauty of a platform like kickstarter.
If there’s no demand, there’s no point.
Better to know upfront before you blow a shitload of time and cash

the market is plenty big for eurorack. but within that there’s probably only so many who want to build patches on a computer. it’ll be spendy when/if it’s available retail… something like $799. but at $549 it’s a killer deal especially when compared to other digital modules for sampling/granular/fx… there’s not really anything that does what it does… except maybe the OD ER-301. it’s not really quite the same thing but same ball park.

the morphagene, 4ms STS sampler, tiptop Zdsp, 1010 BitBox, etc are all in the same price range.

if they make their kickstarter target it’ll be fine. there’s a long way to go… but apparently kickstarters are often U shaped for backing.

it may just be a tough time to do a kickstarter for a module though. the black friday and winter sales happened or are happening and lot’s of people spent their $$$ on those.

fingers crossed it gets funded. i’d like to use it. i only got interested when they added the editor. before that i had no interest because it was only going to be a preset box with limited editability.

1 Like

No question euro scene is absolutely massive now.
I would be all over this module also if still into euro.
I guess this sort of complexity is a double edged sword in the euro market.
There are a lot of users that will only buy modules that feature a more simplistic 1:1 tactile user interface with no such ‘menu diving’

4 Likes

I agree with this… I think the modular community is (unsurprisingly) diverse…
so some wont touch digital modules, or multi function modules - let alone something like this (or 301)…
however on the flip size, Percussa are after about 200 backers in total, for a $550 module - that doesn’t appear to be a huge number…
but I don’t know how many 301s have been sold, and over what period of time, so perhaps it is!

I think part of the problem, is people are unsure if the potential of the mSSP/SSP has been unlocked yet … so it attracts more technical people (like me) who see potential, but not end-users.
This is similar to what I saw with the Organelle when it was first released, only when lots of diverse patches became available did non-technical musicians really appear to get interested - as they thought it was cool ‘as-is’.

so I think Percussa have a bit of a chicken and egg scenario,
if they can build up the user-base, they will get open source developers like me interested, who will help them build the platform, which then will look more attractive to end-user as the diversity of modules grows, and it can snowball from there.

for me , the SSPs expensive/size, was off-putting not only for my personal use, but would seem to limit the size of the community… which is why the mSSP is such an important step.

so yeah, I was hoping 200 would see the potential, and so the community (as well as Percussa) could help grow the platform into something pretty exciting…

so with luck, as the deadline approaches perhaps those on the fence will decide to take a punt on the potential, it could be a really exciting ride :slight_smile:

3 Likes

another update, another demo :slight_smile:

this time multi voice/multi timbral fm, interesting sounds, and a closer look at the UI,
looks pretty quick to operate.

more details on videos on the update post:

43k / 120k number of backers is definitely picking up over last few days, but will a way to go, with only 5 days left.

even if you don’t think it’ll make it, still a good idea to back it,
as this will show Percussa the level of interest, and perhaps get them thinking about a relaunch, or new approach to make the mSSP happen…

but Im still crossing my fingers for a last minute influx of backers… perhaps some people out their thinking of a xmas present :slight_smile:

I have backed this, looks amazing!

2 Likes

wow a really thorough walk through video now available.

only 2 days to go, and still a way off target - but definitely the rate of backers has increased over last few days,
now at $50k, and 87 backers … so needs a bit of a push now.

hopefully the last few videos will help new backers see what they are potentially missing out on. its a really powerful module for $550… I’ll be really disappointed if it doesn’t make it.

less than 24 hours to go on the PERCUSSA #mssp Kickstarter . It’s now or never to get the most powerful DSP module in only 26hp and for only $549! back it now if you want one -

#polyphonic #granular #wavetable #sampling #effects and more #eurorack #dsp #sounddesign

2 Likes

one backer away from 50%. Who pushes us over the edge?

here is an interview I did a while ago about why great sound matters in eurorack and the history of the mSSP and SSP -

Welcome to Elektronauts Bert :kissing_heart:

1 Like

its gone over 50% (62/120k usd) now 107 backers… seems the word is out :slight_smile:

2 hours left… come on everyone … lets make this happen…

even IF it doesn’t make target, the more people that back it, the more Percussa will be able to see that there is the demand, then they will be much more likely to find a way to make it happen.

so… back it now, even if you think it might not make it… show the love :heart_eyes: ,
let Percussa know that you want the mSSP to happen.