Pedals for vocals

As suggested by @aloud, I will make my post on the Chase Bliss thread into a topic so we can collect good demos.

It‘s great that Chase Bliss included a demo with vocals in the demo video for Mood 2. I always feel like I should experiment more with vocals and pedals, but there are few demos out to get an idea about whether a pedal works for vocals or not. Mood 2 sounds more promising than Microcosm in that department. So if any of you use it for vocals, I am very thankful for demos. Should work fine with MK I mono sound.

As this is a new thread, any other suggestions are welcome.

I sometimes use Arp3 on Microcosm for some cool repeats of vocals (as does @Tchu). It otherwise tends to pitch the signal too much for my taste. Or it’s modulating just too much in a quite unpredictable way, so vocals mostly sound bad.

I‘ve also tried out Meris Hedra for some hatmonizing. I‘m sure you could get it to work great, but I hated the controls, so I sold it after a month. It also required a basic knowledge of scales to dial in fitting harmonies, which where then buried in shift functions.

Here’s the demo of Red Panda Particle. It starts with simple enough delay, then some variations on it (reverse, random), and some pitch shifting.

Maybe there is something you like the sound of.

3 Likes

Was going to suggest this, I feel like it’s the only other vocal demo I’ve seen on a pedal that stood out.

Only other demos of vocal effects I can think of are Rachel Collier playing with the Roland Aira E4, but other than that I believe she mostly uses Ableton.

1 Like

I think they are no longer produced, but there is a company called TC-Helicon that produced a range of vocal FX pedals. One of my favorites was the VOICETONE X1. Very cool pedal for telephone/megaphone/distortion FX.

EDIT: Looks like they still make them

Some algos sound nice. Most of them are way too intense to really use them in a track for my taste. Will dig a bit more into how much you can tame the effects. I would prefer demos that showcase how to actually use these in a track/song rather than demonstrating how crazy the effects can get. Maybe a granular plugin or synth would be much more useful to shape vocals?

There’s a nice Habit demo from Chase Bliss that explains how Courtney Swain actually made an album with it:

Found the video quite impressive, but the album not so much.

3 Likes

Yeah, I agree. My favourite was the reverse delay, which is a fairly common effect, but this one sounded nice - it wasn’t that obvious reverse delay you’ve heard a thousand times, a bit more subtle I think. The random delay (IIRC) was also nice. But the pitch shifting algos (or settings in that video) wasn’t that pleasing to my ears, too intense like you said.

1 Like

SOMA Cosmos + vocals. Although it isn’t strictly an FX pedal, more a ‘drifting’ looper, with delay, reverb and granular algos.

1 Like

For me ZOIA has been the best for vocals, because you can tailor it to fit your needs.
Because for vocals to sound really good and “studio ready” there has to be a decent amount of EQ and what not on it so just running vocals into a FX pedal didn’t really reach the quality I wanted to reach.

My vocal patch (which is in pre alpha status) I’m designing now has compressor and EQ at the first stage of the patch, this way I can sculpt the incoming audio to my liking and then apply cool effects to it.

1 Like

Those are the exact two effects I liked. We seem to be on the same page, so I’m looking forward to listening to that Cosmos demo (although it’s a bit pricey).

@MichaalHell: Would you mind sharing the patch when it’s ready? A friend of mine has a Zoia, so we could play around with it. Agreed on the whole EQing part. But I would run the vocals from Ableton into a pedal, so that shouldn’t be that much of an issue. I’ve ditched the idea of running vocals live through a pedal.

1 Like

Yeah that will make it a lot easier. Me not having any DAW worth mentioning can really be a PITA for this reason.

I am not actively working on it per se, I’m more working on it in sprints so it might take a while. But I can definetly share it. I might forget though so please feel free to hit me up at any point!

2 Likes

No hurries! Do you mind sharing what the patch is supposed to do to your vocals?

If anyone has good suggestions or even videos on how to work with samples on OT or in granular, I would also be very curious.

Vocals used to be my main „instrument“ and I‘ve neglected them for about two years now to finally learn more about how to make songs. I feel like now I‘m ready to get back more into vocals and maybe experiment with new stuff there as well.

The main thought is making a template where I can just connect a mic to ZOIA and get nice sounding audio.

so from that template I have a nice starting point for making whacky effects or reverbs and what not…

But I can try and focus on making more mangling effects, I have some ideas which I’m not sure will end up good or not, so I can explore that avenue for you.

1 Like

I have one of these. I haven’t used it much since I mainly use daw plug-ins if I’m ever recording vocals, but it’s pretty useful in a live context, or for trying out vocals while jamming out.

The interface is a bit clunky and not so fun to navigate when you’re trying to make your own patches, but there’s a lot of usable presets right out of the box. If you’re willing to deal with lots of menu diving and context sensitive buttons, the pedal had a lot of depth and you can really hone it in for precise applications or use it to mangle vocals beyond comprehension. I really like using it to make my voice sound lo fi and distorted.

Not been much of a singer historically but love the CBA Mood for this, as already highlighted.
Should try Microcosm and Habit too…and have had fun with Eventide PtichFactor in the past - being able to set a key/scale in the harmoniser algos is ace.

Not a pedal but picked up a TC Helicon Perform-VE as like the weirdness that seems possible with it and want to encourage myself to have fun in this domain as think I’ll enjoy it given a wee nudge and some confidence. The Perform-VE has some of that fun pitch/formant control that I enjoy about Soundtoys Little Altar Boy plus vocoding, fx, some auto-EQ polish, hard-tune etc. There’s a Red Means Recording vid that covers it better than I’ve seen anywhere else.