PayPal. Returning faulty 2nd hand item to independent seller. anyone done this?

Hi guys,
I bought an op1 from a nice guy on Facebook. it arrived DOA so were arranging returning it for a refund.

what’s the done thing, do I return it first or does he refund me first? I guess like with shops you return the item first but I’m just a little nervous about getting scammed, like he might just disappear when he gets it back etc.

I do have PayPal buyer protection.

Anyone had experience with this?

Thanks

You have protection but I’d get the money first, maybe book a courier and get a ref number to show at least something to him.
Tricky one for sure.
I’d suggest ringing Paypal but you’ll be in an imaginary queue for the rest of your life!
Good luck on getting it sorted but bad luck on a dead OP-1, real shame for you on both counts :pensive:

2 Likes

Make sure it is tracked and take loads of pictures.paypal are a nightmare to deal with.have you reported it to PayPal already so they put a stop on his money

2 Likes

thanks guys.

No I haven’t contacted PayPal yet. the seller is very nice and has been very easy to deal with so we’ve just been talking. I defo want to make sure I cover my a**, I’m still paranoid about it.

ive taken a video of the fault. I’ll make sure to take more.

2 Likes

little tip for paypal by the way, if it comes to it…
When calling and been through the security options say ‘operator’ down the phone at a given chance to avoid queues! Works great, cheeky buggers will keep you waiting all day otherwise.

Sometimes youll have to hang up and have them call you back but it’s generally pretty speedy.

Also, I reckon you should try your hardest to get you cash first. Not saying the person is a scammer but a good scammer is often perceived as ‘nice’.

2 Likes

Aha!

Yeah people can be very nice up until a point and then totally f*ck you. I’d be wary.

1 Like

You should send it tracked and insured back and he should refund you on arvial surprised he hasn’t said this that’s all I worry about… but having said that he might not be like me or many others who have shipped lots of items.

1 Like

yea thats is what we’re gonna do. it seems I’m more covered than the seller is in this instance and returning the item first seems to be standard. I must say I do trust him, I’d just prefer not to be in this position. it’s a first.

I agree with others. Document everything. I’d even take videos demonstrating issues with items. Video yourself repacking the item securely. Hell, video yourself dropping it at Post Office. Video the receipts, tracking numbers, etc. Sounds crazy, but may be worth it depending on price of item.

I feel your pain. Bought an OP1 that turned out to be broken a few years back. But… I luckily went through ebay and the seller was a total pro. We worked it ourselves with no escalation.

I hate to say it, but I don’t see how people do the person to person paypal thing with expensive items. I’m sure 9/10 times you’ll be fine, but I am such a worrier I can’t do it. Even buying through ebay, reverb, etc. a lot of times items are definitely not in described condition when I receive them.

1 Like

You are covered both ways if you send it back with full insurance signed for tracking even if PayPal don’t play ball these are highly valued items good sellers and buyers don’t skimp on packing or shipment. Hope it works out for you I’m sure it will if it was me I’d offer to pay for the shipping back just to make you feel more comfortable

1 Like

thanks everyone for your input, it’s much appreciated. I’ll let you know how it turns out. :slight_smile:

ive video, photos, and pride myself on my packaging skills :smile:
fingers crossed.

Just send it back yourself fully insured to the money you paid or ask them to email/provide you with a prepaid print out or signed for letter from major delivery company and your covered :slight_smile:

1 Like