Pattern editor?

I’m pretty sure this is impossible according to the manual, but is there a way to edit patterns via MIDI ?
I’d love to make an editor in Max/MSP to edit several tracks graphically.

I don’t know about that but you can make patterns in a DAW or sequencer and then live record them into the Elektron sequencer…
Minus plocks and all that, but it’s something… :slight_smile:

Thanks, i was thinking of doing this. I’ll give it a try.
Will it record parameter locks if i drive the parameters with their respective CCs ?

Ya know, I’m not sure if that works and/or how reliable it is with notes happening at the same time?
I’ve never tried, it’s worth a shot… :slight_smile:

So i gave it a try.
Using the USB port in Ableton Live 10. Sending CCs from Live and hit live recording on the DT. It kind of works. It indeed records parameter locks.
For now i tried automating the Algorithm since it’s 8 choices, it seemed like a good balance between complexity and simplicity.
Some steps are missed sometimes. Some trigless trigs are added while the computer sends no different cc?
Notes are perfectly recorded.

2 Likes

Edit :
It seems more reliable than what i said previously. Previously, in Live, i was using one track for notes and the other for ccs. With everything in the same track, the result seem better. No mistake in my tests for now.

2 Likes

Nice!

Does it record cc’s on top of note trigs?
Does it record more than one cc on a trig or trigless lock?
Curious… :thinking:

1 Like

You mean if i have a sequence running on the DT and then i send only ccs from Live ?
I’ll try in a minute.

I’m just wondering if it can live record more than one midi event at the same time…

Like if you send it a note and a cc at the same time does it make one trig with a note and a cc lock?
Or if you send two cc’s at the same time, will it put them both on one trigless lock?

Thanks for checking if you do, no worries if ya don’t…

1 Like

It does record the note and several parameter locks at the same time. I need to correct you, to be precise, it’s recording a parameter lock related to the parameter driven by a given cc number, but not the cc itself.
Further investigation made me discover that it seems that the cc value must change for it to be recorded as a parameter lock.
If my assumption is right, i might write a Max for Life patch that would allow proper recording of notes + parameter locks at the same time.
That would be quite exciting.

2 Likes

Nice, that’s great… I’m glad it works that way, thanks for checking…
Yeah your right, I meant parameter lock (made by cc), always good to be clear…