Pattern copy on the go

Just tested on a Monomachine: same thing there. Copy pattern, select another pattern, try pasting before the step sequencer activates the other pattern. The other pattern settings will be recalled and you have to paste “again”…

In the OT you´re at least able to find a way to work around it, thanks to the samples and their lenght and loop settings. As per described in my post above. Not sure if and how one would be able to or how to do it, within the MD/MnM however…

OK i think the reason i seldom experience this problem is that my pattern are often pf the type that dont change after 16 or 32 steps, which means that i have plenty of time to paste my pattern without experiencing the above mentioned problem

So one work around is to change the pattern change parameter to change a bit later… another night be to pre-paste a standard pattern so that you don’t change to an empty one when pasting, haven’t tried ths second work around…

What do you mean by “pattern change parameter to change a bit later”?

Pre-paste aren´t any problem if you are just working where the interuption itself (whether silence or totally different pattern/sound) won´t be of any problem. However when doing some live jam, either at stage or in your home/studio i e when you may find yourself recording straight to disk/tape. When having a moment where you just flow with the go (in such situation where IMHO probably most people don´t have an standard pattern to rely on anyway). It´s inevitable that these interuptions occur. It´s just an creativity flow stopper if you happen to work yourself up from one pattern and just want to continue by adding patterns on the go and in the meanwhile tweaking each one to your taste.

I don´t know, as I haven´t explored this much:
But maybe this is a typical situation where the Crossfader and more specifically the Scene Copy/Paste as well as the selection of Scene A, B and/or mute is intended to be your tool?

Under Projsct/sequenser you have “chain after” standard is pat.len which if your pattern is 16 steps measn MAX 16 steps after you press “paste” if you set i to. for example 4/16 you would have 64 steps to paste you copy before it changes over and i assume that the paste would be complete by that time…

OHHH YESSS!!

I found THE solution.

Setup your OT prior to a crazy jam as follows:

1. Pattern 2-16 set to Part1 and each T8 set to Recording 8.
  2. Pattern 2-16: T8 sample trig on 1. Set this trig as a Sample lock to Recording8.
  3. If you want to use different Parts for your Patterns make shure the following setting is set for each Part: Track Recorder 8: INAB -/ INCD -/ RLEN MAX / TRIG ONE / SRC3 MAIN / LOOP OFF / FIN & FOUT 0.063 / QREC PLEN / QPL OFF / AB & CD 0
  4. Go to Recording8 Setup (press T8 & BANK) and set ATTR GAIN to +16dB

Now for the fun part:

1. Jam on Pattern1.
  2. If you decide that Pattern1 is the shit and you want to leave it as it is. Start recording to Recording8.
  3. During the recording process copy your active pattern and choose the next pattern to be played.
  4. As the next pattern starts the recording on T8 which should be your master mix of the previous pattern has been triggered an you have plenty of time to paste the copied pattern to the active one. Since the copied pattern uses completely different settings on T8 (another part or at least another sample trig… remember? the Recording8 trigger was a Sample lock… ;-)) there is no problem with double play.

Please feel free to optimise my method. But please let us know…

Cheers

4 Likes

Nice one!

:+1:

Haven´t got the time to try it out now, but will when time permits!

Nice, good thinking! Looking forward to trying this. If this works smoothly it would have the advantage of not taking the crossfader in comparison to the “old” crosfader transition trick

All of these work arounds are interesting enough, but why oh why can’t we just get this implemented somehow. All of my performances are live 1take direct to disk recordings and this has been my biggest complaint since day 1 with all of my elektrons. Having this forward copy action would truly make these machines live performance tools of another level.

The sad thing is, the A4 could do this prior to a OS update, since it activated the next pattern only when releasing the trig, so you could hold the trig, paste, release and switch to the duplicated pattern. They changed it unfortunately, can’t remember why…

There should be an easy clone pattern function somewhere in every elektron machine. Even the Electribes can do this!

Has anyone tried my recipe yet?

I’m running 1.1D and the old copy pattern ahead on-the-go ‘method’ still works fine for me - with caveats plus it might not be to your liking, fine with me tho!

would be nice if the devs could add this along with quite a few other A4 front end interface niceties, multiple trig plocking etc

e.g. Dbl-click either Record button to enter record setup page would be so much easier than the clumsy finger gymnastics we have to do now(easy for right hand but in left hand position), especially for such a crucial page, single click back out (except when selecting recording sources, trig held down)

Just reading about it now - just thinking seems like it would work best if on the pattern to-be-copied you locked T8 volume to 0, so that you don’t get doubling?

Just reading about it now - just thinking seems like it would work best if on the pattern to-be-copied you locked T8 volume to 0, so that you don’t get doubling?[/quote]
As far as I know that shouldn’t be an issue because I always delete the Recording8 sample trig before I copy the pattern. Sometimes the T8 is used already and therefore notging has to be done prior to pasting.

Just reading about it now - just thinking seems like it would work best if on the pattern to-be-copied you locked T8 volume to 0, so that you don’t get doubling?[/quote]
As far as I know that shouldn’t be an issue because I always delete the Recording8 sample trig before I copy the pattern. Sometimes the T8 is used already and therefore notging has to be done prior to pasting.
[/quote]
But it will go like this, right?

• Pattern 1 is sampled
  • Pattern 1 is copied
  • Pattern 2 is cued
  • Pattern 2 is switched to
  • Pattern 2, T8’s sample of Pattern 1 is played immediately
  • Pattern 1 is pasted to Pattern 2.
  • The sample in T8 is still playing, and now the stuff that you actually sampled in Pattern 1 (e.g. the exact same stuff barring external audio) is played along with it.

So I’m thinking setting T8 volume to 0 for the part, and locking volume on the T8 trig equal to the pattern, will do the job?

Of course I’m doing this in my head and I don’t know what the actually behavior is like. Will have to test to verify.

You’re right licence
In my head there is not much going on
And when I ran the tests I must have had slways some sample trigs on T8.

Thanks for that improvement!

Oh, good deal, thanks for verifying!

Necro bumping this thread. I really miss this when improvising.

1 Like

Per-track workaround, where you stay on same 1 bar pattern but use the other 3 pages on each track to copy into/paste from/work on while page 1 is playing

2 Likes

We must be on the same wavelength or something like that… I haven’t been here for weeks and came because I’m considering buying an OT again for an improv project and this is the one thing that makes me hesitate because that was what was bothering me when I had it. I just ordered an Erica Synths Black Sequencer and it can do it… so I was hoping the OT had an update recently and that this function was added…

1 Like

It’s really a missed opportunity imho.
Even better would be an additional mode where you could edit a pattern while another one keeps playing.
Imagine that :

Create a pattern in live
Copy it to another pattern
Make some variations on the copy
Play the copy

1 Like