Pattern chaining after certain number of 1/16 notes never seems to work

For some reason, I can’t get the sequencer to change patterns after anything other than the full pattern length. There seems to be an option for making it change after a defined number of 1/16 notes have passed since the pattern change was initiated, but it doesn’t seem to make any difference. I’d like to be able to switch between multiple patterns with INF length on the fly. Is this possible?

The chaining behaviour can be set at both Project and Pattern level. What settings do you have for both?

I’m at work right now so I can’t say. But the menu I’m talking about is just “change pattern after” and then you can select PLEN or any number of 1/16 notes. What additional setting needs to be changed in order to enable this behavior?

EDIT: I looked it up in the manual, and I’m talking about the Project level setting. In the Pattern setting, I never touch the USE PRJ SET. I assume the default is “on”, right? If so, shouldn’t that make every pattern work the same way as whatever is set in the Project?