Patchbay in a frequently changing setup - are stageboxes a solution?

I just got some 96point TT patchbays installed with db25 terminators - so that they can connect nicely to my Ferrofish A32 converters. Currently the converter and patchbay are racked at the bottom of my Jaspers synth rack.

My challenge is that I want to be able to easily swap out any synth / sampler in my rack in any given session. Therefore multicore cables from the patchbays directly to the synths seems messy and a hassle ( a lot of unused trs leads hanging around - alot of cable movement and strain.

My intermediate solution has been to take two old 48point trrs patchbays and install them in the middle of the rack and run TRS snakes from them to my more static mixer and fx units. And then plugin synths / samplers to the front of the patchbay. This at allows some of the plug’n’play functionality that I want. But also ads an extra step of patching - and wires hanging at the front of the rack. And it’s more debugging / trouble shooting. Is the hum from my patchbay? Why is the left signal so low? Oh the normalizing switch got bumped when installing the patchbay etc etc.

Today it occured while searching around that maybe stageboxes might be the solution. Install 1 or 2 stage boxes at each level of the stand. The stageboxes directly into the TT patchbay. And then connect synths / samplers directly to the stage boxes. This would allow for a less messy routing and only cable / connector stress in the stagebox itself.

Has anyone done somthing like this? With good or bad results?
Does anyone have suggestions where to look for good stageboxes (besides thomann) - would be great if there were any 16 point ones with 2x db25 connectors.

Anyone found other solution approaches for this kind of problem?

cheers!

Something like this https://custom-lynx.co.uk/product/custom-lynx-16-channel-stage-wall-box-to-2-x-db25-dsub-male-16-way-neutrik-xlr/ but with all TRS (or atleast combo) inputs

Or this Drum Trigger Breakout Box. Triggers to Module. DB25 Connectors to Jack Sockets

This would be a bit too big - prefer one on each level DSUB:PDS

Seems like the closest I can find would be Modular Snake System Stage Box | Accessories \ D'Addario - just a shame that 4 of the connectors are female XLR only :frowning: so adapters needed

I did 2x stagebox between my jaspers and my working desk. I didnt need sub 25, i used a multicore cable between both boxes. The stagebox has 12x mono 6.5 /XLR combo jacks.
I used the thomann boxes, they were cheap, but it was labour intensive, and i had to solder the 24 ports.

2 Likes

Looks good. But yeah I would love to avoid DIY soldering time. It will take me way too long and I don’t trust my skills with the iron enough to not introduce an array of faults :sob:

If you use a ohm meter, to test the insulation, its doable, the neutrick connectors are not that complicated. 3rd hand makes it easier. (a crocodile clamp)